SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

SSMS Error Message

SSMS Error Message

Author
Mighty
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hugo Kornelis (5/27/2013)

True, but since there is no way to manually apply formatting in the messages pane (as far as I know), the replacement text you type would still be in black.
If you want the text in red, you need to ensure that SQL Server first puts a text in red there, then edit it. Depending on how you edit it, you can still lose the red color, or you can retain it.

I could argue that in the email the text of the QOTD in black was... :-D
...but I will not of course.

Nice question! I was surprised that it's not in the "fun" category, nor worth seven points - that was what I expected when I saw the question.

+1
kapil_kk
kapil_kk
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)

Hugo Kornelis (5/27/2013)
Mighty (5/27/2013)
Nice start of the week.
One remark though:
...if you run code that generates an actual error

This not only works when an error has been generated. Any message that is returned will enable it like the famous
(1 row(s) affected)

True, but since there is no way to manually apply formatting in the messages pane (as far as I know), the replacement text you type would still be in black.
If you want the text in red, you need to ensure that SQL Server first puts a text in red there, then edit it. Depending on how you edit it, you can still lose the red color, or you can retain it.

Nice question! I was surprised that it's not in the "fun" category, nor worth seven points - that was what I expected when I saw the question.

True,
I was aware about this fun thing so when I tried it text color was in black only...
Sometime I able to retain the Red color and sometimes lose that....

manik_anu
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (446 reputation)SSC-Addicted (446 reputation)SSC-Addicted (446 reputation)SSC-Addicted (446 reputation)SSC-Addicted (446 reputation)SSC-Addicted (446 reputation)SSC-Addicted (446 reputation)SSC-Addicted (446 reputation)

Mighty (5/27/2013)
Nice start of the week.
One remark though:
...if you run code that generates an actual error

This not only works when an error has been generated. Any message that is returned will enable it like the famous
(1 row(s) affected)

ha... nice question... w00t

Manik
You cannot get to the top by sitting on your bottom.
george sibbald
george sibbald
SSChampion
SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)

I too was hoping this was a humour question worth lots of easy points..............

especially as its a bank holiday here.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
TomThomson
TomThomson
SSChampion
SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)

Hugo Kornelis (5/27/2013)[hr.Nice question! I was surprised that it's not in the "fun" category, nor worth seven points - that was what I expected when I saw the question.

Yes, very nice. Actually more fun that many of the fun questions that crop up regularly on certain days, and far more deserving of counting 7 points.

Tom

TomThomson
TomThomson
SSChampion
SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)

zerko (5/27/2013)
But surely, since ALL of us ALWAYS screen-lock our computers when we are not physically present, and the error message required someone else to type it into the SSMS Messages screen, the correct answer would have to be "That could not possibly happen! w00t"

We do do that, don't we?

Well, yes, but

Do we always remember to have a secure BIOS password? Or even have a BIOS password at all?
Do we remember to leave the computer setup so that it will only boot from the main hard drive, not from a pen-drive, DVD, CD, or any other replaceable media?
If any of those 3 gets the answer "no" then this stunt is rather easy.

Besides, locking the computer when you leave is not very effective if half (or more) of your colleagues know your password, or it's one of the top 20 preferred passwords for your gender, or it's scribbled on a post-it note stuck to the underside of your mouse-mat because your employer's lunatic security policy requires passwords to have at least 12 characters each and at most 16 and pass a "strength" test and forces you to change them every 15 days with your last 293 passwords remembered by the system and not reusable. Those sorts of insecurities with passwords used to be extremely common, but I think it's got slightly better and they now are only rather common (although that might just be undue optimism on the part of people who tell me what it's like in their organisations now).

Tom

malleswarareddy_m
malleswarareddy_m
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)

Easy question and more over its fun. I also had done this in many times.

Malleswarareddy
I.T.Analyst
MCITP(70-451)
seatedElephant
seatedElephant
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (145 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (145 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (145 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (145 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (145 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (145 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (145 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (145 reputation)

Nice question and quite comical. Fluked it really as I didn't note the bit in BOL "between 50,001 and 2,147,483,647" for the @msgnum. Thanks.

Dave Morris Alien

"Measure twice, saw once"
Ed Wagner
Ed Wagner
SSCoach
SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)

Perhaps I put too much thought into this, since I figured that we all actually do lock our computers when we're not using them. I missed it, but also learned that you can type into the messages pane, which I've never done. Good trick question.

Tally Tables - Performance Personified
String Splitting with True Performance
Best practices on how to ask questions
dhober
dhober
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (946 reputation)SSC Eights! (946 reputation)SSC Eights! (946 reputation)SSC Eights! (946 reputation)SSC Eights! (946 reputation)SSC Eights! (946 reputation)SSC Eights! (946 reputation)SSC Eights! (946 reputation)

Being that my name is Dave, I always wonder when I see messages like that Smile
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.