SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Assigning categories to values 1

Assigning categories to values 1

Author
Alex Fekken
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (275 reputation)SSC Veteran (275 reputation)SSC Veteran (275 reputation)SSC Veteran (275 reputation)SSC Veteran (275 reputation)SSC Veteran (275 reputation)SSC Veteran (275 reputation)SSC Veteran (275 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Not sure and can't think of why one would use as "BETWEEN -1 AND -10" with "start" as the higher value in any practical case.

Depends on where you are coming from: my initial thought, when I first encountered 'BETWEEN', was "I can't think why one would use BETWEEN in any practical case.".

BETWEEN suffers from at least two ambiguities until you consult the "official" definition to find out what arbitrary choices have been made to remove them.

The first is the issue in question: it would have made just as much sense, if not more, to make the definition symmetrical with respect to the two bounds. Because [1] it would be more work to write down the alternative expression and [2] the keyword AND in all other contexts implies symmetry of the operands, unlike e.g. 'x BETWEEN a TO b'.

The second ambiguity is whether BETWEEN includes or excludes the bounds. Intuitively I would make the wrong assumption there as well.

So for me it is a bad language feature, well-deserving of at least one Question of the Day.
Igor Micev
Igor Micev
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)

Good one.
Thanks!
IgorMi

Igor Micev,
SQL Server developer at Seavus
My blog: www.igormicev.com
kapil_kk
kapil_kk
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)

Good question Hugo Smile

Raghavendra Mudugal
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)

Alex Fekken (5/14/2013)
Not sure and can't think of why one would use as "BETWEEN -1 AND -10" with "start" as the higher value in any practical case.

Depends on where you are coming from: my initial thought, when I first encountered 'BETWEEN', was "I can't think why one would use BETWEEN in any practical case.".

BETWEEN suffers from at least two ambiguities until you consult the "official" definition to find out what arbitrary choices have been made to remove them.

The first is the issue in question: it would have made just as much sense, if not more, to make the definition symmetrical with respect to the two bounds. Because [1] it would be more work to write down the alternative expression and [2] the keyword AND in all other contexts implies symmetry of the operands, unlike e.g. 'x BETWEEN a TO b'.

The second ambiguity is whether BETWEEN includes or excludes the bounds. Intuitively I would make the wrong assumption there as well.

So for me it is a bad language feature, well-deserving of at least one Question of the Day.

... even if AND is replaced with TO ... it still works in the same way... and when you know the BETWEEN included the bounds, why you want to use your "intuition" and then make the "wrong assumption"? (I have used this keyword and never thought of going alternate.. and BETWEEN works as it suppose to work)

(my concern is with the start expr with the higher value and then put lower value to the end expr and I don't see any practical case where and how it is used to make the code work...)

ww; Raghu
--
The first and the hardest SQL statement I have wrote- "select * from customers" - and I was happy and felt smart.
honza.mf
honza.mf
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)

Raghavendra Mudugal (5/14/2013)

(Not sure and can't think of why one would use as "BETWEEN -1 AND -10" with "start" as the higher value in any practical case. When I saw -1 as the start value.. I thought that might be the catch here and .... :-) )

I can think one can copy-paste positive thresholds and write minus signs afterwards.

See, understand, learn, try, use efficient
© Dr.Plch
honza.mf
honza.mf
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)

Nice question, thank you very much for two very valuable points Hehe

See, understand, learn, try, use efficient
© Dr.Plch
Raghavendra Mudugal
Raghavendra Mudugal
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)

honza.mf (5/14/2013)
Raghavendra Mudugal (5/14/2013)

(Not sure and can't think of why one would use as "BETWEEN -1 AND -10" with "start" as the higher value in any practical case. When I saw -1 as the start value.. I thought that might be the catch here and .... :-) )

I can think one can copy-paste positive thresholds and write minus signs afterwards.

I see you missed the <joke></joke> tags Rolleyes

ww; Raghu
--
The first and the hardest SQL statement I have wrote- "select * from customers" - and I was happy and felt smart.
Thomas Abraham
Thomas Abraham
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)

Nicely posed and explained. I suspected the BETWEEN might cause a problem, but went for the wrong answer anyway.

I lost those two very valuable points, delaying my retirement by at least five years. Fortunately I have my mutual funds to fall back on. ;-)

Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
Connect to me on LinkedIn
Toreador
Toreador
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)

Thomas Abraham (5/14/2013)
I lost those two very valuable points

I hadn't noticed it was two points.
Woo hoo - Barbados here I come!
Cool
srienstr
srienstr
Old Hand
Old Hand (326 reputation)Old Hand (326 reputation)Old Hand (326 reputation)Old Hand (326 reputation)Old Hand (326 reputation)Old Hand (326 reputation)Old Hand (326 reputation)Old Hand (326 reputation)

declare @test int
set @test=-2
select case when @test between -1 and -10 then 'Order does not matter'
else 'Order matters' end as Conclusion

It would seem to me that order shouldn't matter. As it is, if you are using parameters for the comparison and don't know which will be larger, you would need the below:
select case when (@test >= @compare1 and @test <= @compare2) OR (@test >= @compare2 and @test <= @compare1) then 'Sheesh, what a long way around.' end

I saw it was from Hugo, and checked carefully for tricks. Not carefully enough. :-D

Puto me cogitare, ergo puto me esse.
I think that I think, therefore I think that I am.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.