SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Copying database objects

Copying database objects

Author
Rynga
Valued Member
Valued Member (71 reputation)Valued Member (71 reputation)Valued Member (71 reputation)Valued Member (71 reputation)Valued Member (71 reputation)Valued Member (71 reputation)Valued Member (71 reputation)Valued Member (71 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
How to copy the database objects (tables, views, Stored procedures, functions, schemas) from one database to another database of different server. Both source and target are SQL server 2008 R2. I just want to copy the database objects and not the actual data. Could somebody please help.
Dird
Dird
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (461 reputation)SSC-Addicted (461 reputation)SSC-Addicted (461 reputation)SSC-Addicted (461 reputation)SSC-Addicted (461 reputation)SSC-Addicted (461 reputation)SSC-Addicted (461 reputation)SSC-Addicted (461 reputation)

Right click Management -> Generate scripts -> select the DB then go through it.

On the objects list it should have "Script Create" as true and "Script Data" as false by default. Select the sp/tables you want then Script it to file and execute that file on the server you want (check it first).

Dird

Dird
Ness
Ness
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (421 reputation)SSC-Addicted (421 reputation)SSC-Addicted (421 reputation)SSC-Addicted (421 reputation)SSC-Addicted (421 reputation)SSC-Addicted (421 reputation)SSC-Addicted (421 reputation)SSC-Addicted (421 reputation)

or you can use the transfer sql objects task in SSIS

SQL DBA
Every day is a school day, and don't trust anyone who tells you any different.
http://sqlblogness.blogspot.co.uk
Ed Wagner
Ed Wagner
SSCoach
SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)

If you want everything (data, types, users, security settings, etc.), I found the best way to do it is to take a full backup of the source database and then restore it as a different name. This also allows you to move the backup file from one server to another (for example, a test server) and restore it there. Just another option to consider depending on the situation.

Tally Tables - Performance Personified
String Splitting with True Performance
Best practices on how to ask questions
Rynga
Rynga
Valued Member
Valued Member (71 reputation)Valued Member (71 reputation)Valued Member (71 reputation)Valued Member (71 reputation)Valued Member (71 reputation)Valued Member (71 reputation)Valued Member (71 reputation)Valued Member (71 reputation)

I tried suing generate scripts.. I was successful in transferring few objects but not all Sad :'(.. It has not copied all the tables.Can someboby please help me more on it
Dird
Dird
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (461 reputation)SSC-Addicted (461 reputation)SSC-Addicted (461 reputation)SSC-Addicted (461 reputation)SSC-Addicted (461 reputation)SSC-Addicted (461 reputation)SSC-Addicted (461 reputation)SSC-Addicted (461 reputation)

ranganathleo (5/13/2013)
It has not copied all the tables.Can someboby please help me more on it

Did you select all the tables you wanted to copy?

Dird

Dird
Rynga
Rynga
Valued Member

Thanks for the help. The problem was the db was having more than 3000 secondary files. It also had partition functions and schemas. I first copied the partitioned fn's and schemas and was then able to copy the tables using the generate script method.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.