SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Permission by department manager from single report to view.

Permission by department manager from single report to view.

Author
alex_martinez
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (215 reputation)SSC Veteran (215 reputation)SSC Veteran (215 reputation)SSC Veteran (215 reputation)SSC Veteran (215 reputation)SSC Veteran (215 reputation)SSC Veteran (215 reputation)SSC Veteran (215 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hello,

We are using SSRS 2005 and I have a report I want to give access to 5 different managers the report will be in a separate folders by department this report is a budget report. I don't want to change the sql query for each department individually and copy into the respective folders I would have ssrs 2005 recognize the department by folder and only give the data to the respective department manager. Is this possible? Thank you in advance.
LightVader
LightVader
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (939 reputation)SSC Eights! (939 reputation)SSC Eights! (939 reputation)SSC Eights! (939 reputation)SSC Eights! (939 reputation)SSC Eights! (939 reputation)SSC Eights! (939 reputation)SSC Eights! (939 reputation)

alex_martinez (5/11/2013)
Hello,

We are using SSRS 2005 and I have a report I want to give access to 5 different managers the report will be in a separate folders by department this report is a budget report. I don't want to change the sql query for each department individually and copy into the respective folders I would have ssrs 2005 recognize the department by folder and only give the data to the respective department manager. Is this possible? Thank you in advance.

What about altering the query to accept the department as a parameter? When you deploy the report to your report server, you can hard-code this value for each folder.

The opinions expressed herein are strictly personal and do not necessarily reflect the views or policies of my employer.
nitin.lokhande
nitin.lokhande
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (23 reputation)Grasshopper (23 reputation)Grasshopper (23 reputation)Grasshopper (23 reputation)Grasshopper (23 reputation)Grasshopper (23 reputation)Grasshopper (23 reputation)Grasshopper (23 reputation)

Hi
I am not expert but hard coding is not a good idea, tomorrw the coder leave and some new dept. to be included then what ??
LightVader
LightVader
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (939 reputation)SSC Eights! (939 reputation)SSC Eights! (939 reputation)SSC Eights! (939 reputation)SSC Eights! (939 reputation)SSC Eights! (939 reputation)SSC Eights! (939 reputation)SSC Eights! (939 reputation)

nitin.lokhande (5/14/2013)
Hi
I am not expert but hard coding is not a good idea, tomorrw the coder leave and some new dept. to be included then what ??

Copying the same report to multiple folders isn't really a great idea either. And if the coder leaves, who's going to set up the report for a new department anyway? To be clear, I'm suggesting hard-coding at the report level, not within the SQL itself.

The opinions expressed herein are strictly personal and do not necessarily reflect the views or policies of my employer.
alex_martinez
alex_martinez
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (215 reputation)SSC Veteran (215 reputation)SSC Veteran (215 reputation)SSC Veteran (215 reputation)SSC Veteran (215 reputation)SSC Veteran (215 reputation)SSC Veteran (215 reputation)SSC Veteran (215 reputation)

Thanks for the tip. :-)
alex_martinez
alex_martinez
SSC Veteran

True, thanks:-)
Kulgan_
Kulgan_
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (165 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (165 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (165 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (165 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (165 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (165 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (165 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (165 reputation)

You can also do additional table with permissions... like this:

tabBudget will contain columns:
[...]
departamentID
cash
date
[...]

tabDeptUserPermissions will contain columns:
ID
departamentID
user

and in reporting services when You pull data from tabBudget do join with tabDeptUserPermissions on (tabBudget.departamentID = tabDeptUserPermissions.departamentID) and where tabDeptUserPermissions.user = User!UserID (not sure - this should be assigned to hidden parameter and this parameter should be used in query)
alex_martinez
alex_martinez
SSC Veteran

Thank you I appreciate the tip.:-)
nitin.lokhande
nitin.lokhande
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (23 reputation)Grasshopper (23 reputation)Grasshopper (23 reputation)Grasshopper (23 reputation)Grasshopper (23 reputation)Grasshopper (23 reputation)Grasshopper (23 reputation)Grasshopper (23 reputation)

In agreement :-)
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.