SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

SQL Server system tables

SQL Server system tables

Author
navtec
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (762 reputation)Right there with Babe (762 reputation)Right there with Babe (762 reputation)Right there with Babe (762 reputation)Right there with Babe (762 reputation)Right there with Babe (762 reputation)Right there with Babe (762 reputation)Right there with Babe (762 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi,

I am familiar with SQL and have created queries.

With TSQL the problem I'm having is I'm not sure which SQL Server system tables to look in for the data I need (there are a lot of tables to browse through....)

Is there a reference guide on the internet which could guide me to look at certain system tables for certain tasks. For example for backups look in msdb.dbo.backupset table, for monitoring replication look in msdb.dbo.sysreplicationalerts and msdb.dbo.sysalerts tables etc. etc.

I know how to query but when given a new task I'm a bit lost as to where to find my data, from which SQL server system tables.

Thanks.
s_osborne2
s_osborne2
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)

SQL Server books online is essentially the documentation for SQL Server. Just use the drop down to change the version as you require. You'll need to look in there really to find what you're looking for. To be honest, I'll always just hit my favourite search engine with some appropriate key words. It's very rare that there's nobody out there that hasn't done something similar to what I'm after. The trick is to understand any code you may find before running or using it.

Thanks,

Simon

MCSE: Data Platform
MCSE: Business Intelligence
Follow me on Twitter: @WazzTheBadger
LinkedIn Profile: Simon Osborne
navtec
navtec
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (762 reputation)Right there with Babe (762 reputation)Right there with Babe (762 reputation)Right there with Babe (762 reputation)Right there with Babe (762 reputation)Right there with Babe (762 reputation)Right there with Babe (762 reputation)Right there with Babe (762 reputation)

Ok I'll do that, thanks for your help and advice.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.