SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Moving System Databases - A Checklist

Moving System Databases - A Checklist

Author
Chris Hedgate
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (9.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.3K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the content posted at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists

--
Chris Hedgate
http://www.hedgate.net/
Contributor to the Best of SQL Server Central volumes
Articles: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/chedgate/
talltop
talltop
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (561 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (561 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (561 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (561 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (561 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (561 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (561 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (561 reputation)

This article is redundant in my opinion since there is already a KB article that has been out for quite some time that covers this topic very well.

TF-245998
TF-245998
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (201 reputation)SSC Veteran (201 reputation)SSC Veteran (201 reputation)SSC Veteran (201 reputation)SSC Veteran (201 reputation)SSC Veteran (201 reputation)SSC Veteran (201 reputation)SSC Veteran (201 reputation)

This article is doubly redundant, since it was published earlier - my printout of it is dated 8/18/2005. Why the rehash?

I do like some things about this article better than Knowledgebase 224071, like it gives you the steps in the correct order. I combined what I liked about both into my own document, maybe I should publish that?

John Scarborough
John Scarborough
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (528 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (528 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (528 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (528 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (528 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (528 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (528 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (528 reputation)

This article is a much easier read than the KB article. It's hard to believe that Microsoft's documentation could be considered dry, I know, but I do prefer the style of this article for my "toolbox" of scripts.

Anyway, virtually everything on sqlservercentral is just a rehash of Books Online and MSDN. Why not just close it down? It's just redundant.

Man, the negativity is just freaking depressing. If you don't like it, just don't read the darned thing.

John Scarborough
MCDBA, MCSA
AllyAnneA
AllyAnneA
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (424 reputation)SSC-Addicted (424 reputation)SSC-Addicted (424 reputation)SSC-Addicted (424 reputation)SSC-Addicted (424 reputation)SSC-Addicted (424 reputation)SSC-Addicted (424 reputation)SSC-Addicted (424 reputation)

Anyone figured out how to move systems dbs in SQL 2005 RTM? I just tried with the -T3608 startup parameter, and it bombed. Used to work like a charm in SQL 2000!

Ben Sullins
Ben Sullins
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)

AllyAnneA

Here is a KB article describing how to move system database files in SQL Server 2005.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms345408.aspx

Enjoy!
-Ben
Andy Warren
Andy Warren
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (37K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (37K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (37K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (37K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (37K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (37K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (37K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (37K reputation)

Group: Moderators

We like to think that authors add value to a process over what may already be documented in BOL or elsewhere on MSDN. Occasionally we will re-run articles that have been well received in the past and that still seem to address the needs of our readers.

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Follow me on Twitter
webooth
webooth
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (550 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (550 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (550 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (550 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (550 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (550 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (550 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (550 reputation)

I appreciate the effort in laying out the steps one after another. This is a good time-saver at least for me.

C.J. Morgan
C.J. Morgan
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (82 reputation)SSC Journeyman (82 reputation)SSC Journeyman (82 reputation)SSC Journeyman (82 reputation)SSC Journeyman (82 reputation)SSC Journeyman (82 reputation)SSC Journeyman (82 reputation)SSC Journeyman (82 reputation)

I know this post is old, but seems very informative and just what I need. My question is, will this procedure work on a Clustered instance, with the caveat that we use the Cluster Administrator to stop/start the sql services?
Anyone performed this on a cluster (nodes remaining the same, just moving to new back end storage), I'd appreciate some feedback.
Thanks,
CJ
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.