SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Table Alias

Table Alias

Author
Danny Ocean
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hugo Kornelis (5/2/2013)
Good question, though I'm surprised that, apparently, people are doing this wrong. Since you'll be rewarded by an error message when you try, I don't understand how people could not do this correct - at least after being hit once.

Hugo, that's the reason i have post the Question.
And thanks for your suggestions, i will keep them in mind for future questions. :-)

Thanks
Vinay Kumar
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Keep Learning - Keep Growing !!!
www.GrowWithSql.com
WWDMark
WWDMark
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (751 reputation)Right there with Babe (751 reputation)Right there with Babe (751 reputation)Right there with Babe (751 reputation)Right there with Babe (751 reputation)Right there with Babe (751 reputation)Right there with Babe (751 reputation)Right there with Babe (751 reputation)

Nice easy one (even for me!). Thanks.

MCITP
MCTS - E-Business Card
Twitter: WWDMark

Try not! Do or do not, there is no try

email: info@weekendwebdesign.co.uk
Personal Website: www.markallen-online.co.uk
Business Website: www.weekendwebdesign.co.uk
kapil_kk
kapil_kk
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)

Hugo Kornelis (5/2/2013)
Good question, though I'm surprised that, apparently, people are doing this wrong. Since you'll be rewarded by an error message when you try, I don't understand how people could not do this correct - at least after being hit once.

However, to do some nitpicking:

1. If I were to try this code on my system, I would get five errors. All system table (*) names are completely lowercase, so everyone who has a server set up with a case sensitive collation will get error messages. (And I think every development server SHOULD be set up with case sensitive collation - developing there and deploying to a case insensitive server is okay, the other word around is a disaster)

2. I don't see the advantage of using a system table (*) in this question. Why not add a CREATE TABLE to make a simple demo table and use that? Okay, it would have been a bit more code in the question, but it would save all the readers of having to look up if the various columns used in the question actaully exist in sysobjects.

3. And if you must use a system table (*), at least avoid using the deprecated ones. You could have used sys.objects instead. Please don't encourage people to use compatibility views; they might just be gone in the next release!

(*) Yeah, I know, I know. Not system tables, but system views. Or rather: compatibility view (for sysobjects) and object catalog view (for sys.objects)

+1 :-)

Divine Flame
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)

Thanks for the question.

Sujeet Singh
Lokesh Vij
Lokesh Vij
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)

Thanks for the question Vinay.
An easy one for the day. It's always good to refresh our basics :-)

~ Lokesh Vij

Guidelines for quicker answers on T-SQL question
Guidelines for answers on Performance questions

Link to my Blog Post --> www.SQLPathy.com

Follow me @Twitter

Rune Bivrin
Rune Bivrin
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)

Hugo Kornelis (5/2/2013)

1. If I were to try this code on my system, I would get five errors. All system table (*) names are completely lowercase, so everyone who has a server set up with a case sensitive collation will get error messages. (And I think every development server SHOULD be set up with case sensitive collation - developing there and deploying to a case insensitive server is okay, the other word around is a disaster)

Not necessarily true. If your development server is case sensitive you run the risk of having more than one object with the same name, only with different casing. When deploying on a case INsensitive server it will blow up.

Just because you're right doesn't mean everybody else is wrong.
Hugo Kornelis
Hugo Kornelis
SSChampion
SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)

Rune Bivrin (5/2/2013)
Hugo Kornelis (5/2/2013)

Not necessarily true. If your development server is case sensitive you run the risk of having more than one object with the same name, only with different casing. When deploying on a case INsensitive server it will blow up.

Technically true. Realistically, the chance of this happening by accident is a lot smaller than the chance of using wrong case on a case insensitive server.

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server MVP
Visit my SQL Server blog: http://sqlblog.com/blogs/hugo_kornelis
Carlo Romagnano
Carlo Romagnano
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.1K reputation)

Rune Bivrin (5/2/2013)
Hugo Kornelis (5/2/2013)

+1
Why should you choose CASE SENSITIVE COLLATION?
Please, do not answer for performance reason!

I run on tuttopodismo
srienstr
srienstr
Old Hand
Old Hand (336 reputation)Old Hand (336 reputation)Old Hand (336 reputation)Old Hand (336 reputation)Old Hand (336 reputation)Old Hand (336 reputation)Old Hand (336 reputation)Old Hand (336 reputation)

Hugo Kornelis (5/2/2013)
Rune Bivrin (5/2/2013)

Technically true. Realistically, the chance of this happening by accident is a lot smaller than the chance of using wrong case on a case insensitive server.

It seems more likely to me than the chance of having code deployed to a case sensitive server without having been previously informed that case sensitivity was a business requirement. Case sensitive strikes me as an annoyingly persnickity environment to code in though, so I may be biased.

Puto me cogitare, ergo puto me esse.
I think that I think, therefore I think that I am.
HildaJ
HildaJ
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (499 reputation)SSC-Addicted (499 reputation)SSC-Addicted (499 reputation)SSC-Addicted (499 reputation)SSC-Addicted (499 reputation)SSC-Addicted (499 reputation)SSC-Addicted (499 reputation)SSC-Addicted (499 reputation)

Thanks for the question, some people tend to forget the basics and waste time chasing their tales. Whether you use system tables, depricated or user tables you proved your point.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.