Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

converting oltp database into dimension model (olap) database

converting oltp database into dimension model (olap) database

Author
sej2008
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (187 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (187 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (187 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (187 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (187 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (187 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (187 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (187 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I work on ssas using adventureworksDW2008 database for creting cube and understanding other features but if I want to convert my oltp database such as Northwind database where data is in relational model(customers,products,orders tables)what exactly is the way I can do it.
Is there any mechanism that directly table will be converted to fact and dimension tables.
What I want is a way to convert OLTP Data into OLAp data for creating cubes.
I do not want to work on ready database like adventureworksDW2008.
robert.gerald.taylor
robert.gerald.taylor
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)

sej2008 (5/1/2013)
I work on ssas using adventureworksDW2008 database for creting cube and understanding other features but if I want to convert my oltp database such as Northwind database where data is in relational model(customers,products,orders tables)what exactly is the way I can do it.
Is there any mechanism that directly table will be converted to fact and dimension tables.
What I want is a way to convert OLTP Data into OLAP data for creating cubes.
I do not want to work on ready database like adventureworksDW2008.

It sounds like you're asking for a magic bullet that will convert a 3NF db to a dimensional model (star schema or snowflake off a star schema). I'm not aware of anything like this -- it boils down to having to do the data modeling yourself. A good book on star schema/modeling is the Kimball - 'Data Warehouse Toolkit' (the 3rd edition comes out in July). ( http://www.amazon.com/Data-Warehouse-Toolkit-Complete-Dimensional/dp/0471200247/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1367416796&sr=1-1&keywords=data+warehouse+toolkit )

HTH,
Rob
sej2008
sej2008
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (187 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (187 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (187 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (187 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (187 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (187 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (187 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (187 reputation)

:-)No I was not asking for any magic Bullet,I wanted to understand from scratch(the data itself)May be that was Data modelling which I was not aware.
Thanks
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.