SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

SQl server carrier advice

SQl server carrier advice

Author
hrishi.wankhade 45194
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
HI,
I have 4.5 years of SQL developer.I work with one of the reputed bank in the world.
My situation is being a software engineer I am working in a bank as a programmer. My current job does not give me good exposure to technology on which I am working (SQL Server).but gives me good pay,work life balance.
Now I have a option to look and grab a role in s/w industry.
But I think it will take more years to settle in new job role and I know S/w industry is not doing well and it totally depends on banks.What should I do??
Should I continue with this job and
1> try to get domain knowledge and solve the challenges faced by operations.
2>Understand end to end business and help people on delivery front .
and after few years progress in this line to manage delivery and services by showing all the above experience. (I work closely with operations and my current job allow me to do this)
I know this may sound confusing but I tried my level best to explain.
Neeraj Dwivedi
Neeraj Dwivedi
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)

With all the things you explained earlier I want to add that keep learning new features of the technology you are using.
Mansfield
Mansfield
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (424 reputation)SSC-Addicted (424 reputation)SSC-Addicted (424 reputation)SSC-Addicted (424 reputation)SSC-Addicted (424 reputation)SSC-Addicted (424 reputation)SSC-Addicted (424 reputation)SSC-Addicted (424 reputation)

#2. Especially in the banking sector.

Nothing wrong with a technical path, but from your description it appears that any skills growth will have to come from outside the work environment.
Eric M Russell
Eric M Russell
SSChampion
SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)

RE: SQL career advice
If your current job is secure, then I'd suggest staying put for at last a few months. Install SQL Server 2012 Developer Edition, and spend your flex time learning as much as you about a broad range of topics.
Perhaps consider studying for the MCSA exam. What's good about certification exams from the perspective of someone still leaning SQL Server is that it provides a structured path for study, and once you complete your exams, it's something you can use to highlight on your resume.
http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/mcsa-sql-certification.aspx

"The universe is complicated and for the most part beyond your control, but your life is only as complicated as you choose it to be."
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.