SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Renaming system databases

Renaming system databases

Author
 IT researcher
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (586 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (586 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (586 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (586 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (586 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (586 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (586 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (586 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Can I rename the physical name of both mdf and ldf files of system databases such as msdb,model and master?
Steve JP
Steve JP
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (93 reputation)SSC Journeyman (93 reputation)SSC Journeyman (93 reputation)SSC Journeyman (93 reputation)SSC Journeyman (93 reputation)SSC Journeyman (93 reputation)SSC Journeyman (93 reputation)SSC Journeyman (93 reputation)

IT researcher (4/27/2013)
Can I rename the physical name of both mdf and ldf files of system databases such as msdb,model and master?

Without breaking anything?? I very much doubt it.

Why do you want to rename only some of the system databases files in the first place?
george sibbald
george sibbald
SSChampion
SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)

Steve JP (4/27/2013)
IT researcher (4/27/2013)

Without breaking anything?? I very much doubt it.

Why do you want to rename only some of the system databases files in the first place?

+1 million.

I would not be surprised if the next patch failed spectacularly

---------------------------------------------------------------------
IT researcher
 IT researcher
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (586 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (586 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (586 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (586 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (586 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (586 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (586 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (586 reputation)

I am changing file name of mdf and ldf file not database name. Does changing the MSDBData.mdf to MSDB.mdf cause problem?
Steve JP
Steve JP
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (93 reputation)SSC Journeyman (93 reputation)SSC Journeyman (93 reputation)SSC Journeyman (93 reputation)SSC Journeyman (93 reputation)SSC Journeyman (93 reputation)SSC Journeyman (93 reputation)SSC Journeyman (93 reputation)

yes we got that. But why do you want to change the names of the physical files????
george sibbald
george sibbald
SSChampion
SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)

I cannot think of any good reason to change system database file names and cannot guarantee it won't cause a problem either now or with some future change MS makes that makes an assumption about system database file names.

Keith Langmead
Keith Langmead
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (174 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (174 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (174 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (174 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (174 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (174 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (174 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (174 reputation)

I'd put money on it breaking future updates, considering how SQL 2005 would fail to install some updates if you simply moved the resources db to a different physical location than the master database.
var_hwr
var_hwr
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)

Since it is not advisable to change system dbs physical file name. If you want to do it for fun Hehe then just use the below command:
alter database master modify file(name=<logical_name>,filename='<physical filename along with its path>')
And then you need to stop SQL services,change the file name at its physical position and then again start SQL services.
note: for master you need to change physical file name in start up parameter also.
:-)
george sibbald
george sibbald
SSChampion

varunlpu,

to move master you only need to amend the startup parameters, stop SQL, copy files to new location, and restart SQL.

(and then cross fingers) :-)

baabhu
baabhu
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)

I'm just curious to find what made you to think that renaming a system databases is option for you. :-)
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.