SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

70-461 - Done, but more difficult than expected

70-461 - Done, but more difficult than expected

Author
winston Smith
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Just passed the 70-461 SQL Developer Exam Today.

This exam is much harder than I expected.
Its quite syntax heavy, and asks a lot of questions on correct syntax, things that if SSMS didnt like the syntax it would take 30 secs to g00gle the proper syntax. Syntax memorization isnt a real test of knowledge IMO but regadless, its in the exam. correct syntax on index creation, table altering, view creation, grouping, xml, windowing, xml, xml and more xml all came up.

Lots of XML, know the different ways to convert rows to XML, and the differences between those ways to get xml out of tabular data.
Know your windowing functions well.
Know grouping very well.
Know UDF's well, different types and syntax.
Types of triggers and their usage.

Pretty much everything that the exam covers came up so not many shortcuts.
I used the microsoft training book as prep. book is great, but the sample exam is worse than useless. I wouldnt use it AT ALL if doing this again.

Best of luck to all taking this exam.
dan-572483
dan-572483
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)

I did fairly well on the practice exam last Friday (even with CNN playing in the background), so thanks for deflating my confidence. ;-)
GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (88K reputation)SSC Guru (88K reputation)SSC Guru (88K reputation)SSC Guru (88K reputation)SSC Guru (88K reputation)SSC Guru (88K reputation)SSC Guru (88K reputation)SSC Guru (88K reputation)

Just a warning, discussing what's in the exam is a violation of the NDA that you accepted when writing that exam, so watch what you say about the contents of the exam.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

winston Smith
winston Smith
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)

No worries, I intended to, and stayed very general, much less detailed than other posts on this site about the exam, but I won't mention anything further on the exam.
Dird
Dird
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (475 reputation)SSC-Addicted (475 reputation)SSC-Addicted (475 reputation)SSC-Addicted (475 reputation)SSC-Addicted (475 reputation)SSC-Addicted (475 reputation)SSC-Addicted (475 reputation)SSC-Addicted (475 reputation)

Not being funny but it's a SQL exam...
DDL (index creation, table altering, view creation), queries with grouping, various join types is what you would expect, no? If it's as bad as Oracle's SQL exam it would probably include lots of generic functions that are used once in a blue moon but somehow make it into the exam~

no idea about "windowing" or xml though :x

Dird

Dird
Steven.Howes
Steven.Howes
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (882 reputation)SSC Eights! (882 reputation)SSC Eights! (882 reputation)SSC Eights! (882 reputation)SSC Eights! (882 reputation)SSC Eights! (882 reputation)SSC Eights! (882 reputation)SSC Eights! (882 reputation)

Thanks for the advice about the prep book practice exam. I tend to use those to get in to exam answering mode. Maybe I'll spring for a different exam test suite. Of all the exams this is the one I'm worried least about, The BI exam that's a totally different story. Looking forward to the material, dreading the exam.
TheComedian
TheComedian
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (239 reputation)SSC Veteran (239 reputation)SSC Veteran (239 reputation)SSC Veteran (239 reputation)SSC Veteran (239 reputation)SSC Veteran (239 reputation)SSC Veteran (239 reputation)SSC Veteran (239 reputation)

Just passed the 70-461 today so wanted to add my 2 cents.

I actually didn't find it as bad but then again I was expecting it to be murder after reading OP's comments. I wouldn't say that the questions in the Training Toolkit CS are useless but the exam questions are definitely harder. What I would do is read the book carefully, which is great by the way, do all the exercises and practice questions and then do the practice exam since it's more of a warmup than an actual exam simulation.

I can't say anymore because of the Terms and Conditions signed but I would say that it's challenging but doable.
db808
db808
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)

I'm reading the Training Kit Book and there are sections with a "key" icon. What are the relevance of these verses the sections labled "exam hints"

Also is 2 hours more than enough time for the 200 question exam?
Koen Verbeeck
Koen Verbeeck
One Orange Chip
One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)

db808 (10/30/2013)
I'm reading the Training Kit Book and there are sections with a "key" icon. What are the relevance of these verses the sections labled "exam hints"

If you know your T-SQL, 2 hours is enough time.
I did it in a bit over an hour.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?
My blog at SQLKover.

MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP
RTaylor2208
RTaylor2208
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (972 reputation)SSC Eights! (972 reputation)SSC Eights! (972 reputation)SSC Eights! (972 reputation)SSC Eights! (972 reputation)SSC Eights! (972 reputation)SSC Eights! (972 reputation)SSC Eights! (972 reputation)

db808 (10/30/2013)

200 Questions? Do you mean test questions as when I sat my exam there was only 44.

MCITP SQL 2005, MCSA SQL 2012
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.