Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Replace .TIF with .pdf

Replace .TIF with .pdf

Author
2Tall
Say Hey Kid
Say Hey Kid (702 reputation)Say Hey Kid (702 reputation)Say Hey Kid (702 reputation)Say Hey Kid (702 reputation)Say Hey Kid (702 reputation)Say Hey Kid (702 reputation)Say Hey Kid (702 reputation)Say Hey Kid (702 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi to all. I want to update a column that links to an external document. The external documents have been converted from .TIF to .pdf. The file name remains the same.

UPDATE Documents
SET DocumentFileName = REPLACE(RIGHT(DocumentFileName,-3) 'TIF','pdf')

WHERE RIGHT(DocumentFileName,-3) ='TIF' AND DocumentLinked = '1'

The above is incorrect Smile

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A neutron walks into a bar. "I'd like a beer" he says. The bartender promptly serves up a beer. "How much will that be?" asks the neutron. "For you?" replies the bartender, "no charge."

Two hydrogen atoms walk into a bar. One says, 'I think I've lost an electron.' The other says 'Are you sure?' The first says, 'Yes, I'm positive... '

Tommy Cooper

2Tall
2Tall
Say Hey Kid
Say Hey Kid (702 reputation)Say Hey Kid (702 reputation)Say Hey Kid (702 reputation)Say Hey Kid (702 reputation)Say Hey Kid (702 reputation)Say Hey Kid (702 reputation)Say Hey Kid (702 reputation)Say Hey Kid (702 reputation)

OK, it looks like I was over thinking it.

UPDATE Documents
SET DocumentFileName = REPLACE(DocumentFileName,'TIF','pdf')

WHERE DocumentFileName LIKE '%.TIF' AND DocumentLinked = '1'

Can anyone see any potential issued with above code?
Kind Regards,
Phil.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A neutron walks into a bar. "I'd like a beer" he says. The bartender promptly serves up a beer. "How much will that be?" asks the neutron. "For you?" replies the bartender, "no charge."

Two hydrogen atoms walk into a bar. One says, 'I think I've lost an electron.' The other says 'Are you sure?' The first says, 'Yes, I'm positive... '

Tommy Cooper

Mark Cowne
Mark Cowne
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)

2Tall (4/12/2013)
OK, it looks like I was over thinking it.

UPDATE Documents
SET DocumentFileName = REPLACE(DocumentFileName,'TIF','pdf')

Can anyone see any potential issued with above code?
Kind Regards,
Phil.

That will change 'TIF' anywhere in DocumentFileName, try this instead

UPDATE Documents
SET DocumentFileName = LEFT(DocumentFileName,LEN(DocumentFileName)-3) + 'pdf'

Deja View - The strange feeling that somewhere, sometime you've optimised this query before

How to get the best help on a forum

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

Phil Parkin
Phil Parkin
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)

I would refine your REPLACE slightly to include the '.' - this would help avoid the problem Mark mentioned.

update  Documents
set DocumentFileName = replace(DocumentFileName, '.TIF', '.pdf')
where DocumentFileName like '%.TIF'
and DocumentLinked = '1'

Help us to help you. For better, quicker and more-focused answers to your questions, consider following the advice in this link.

If the answer to your question can be found with a brief Google search, please perform the search yourself, rather than expecting one of the SSC members to do it for you.

Please surround any code or links you post with the appropriate IFCode formatting tags. It helps readability a lot.
2Tall
2Tall
Say Hey Kid

Thanks for the responses. I will implement as suggesteed.
Phil

Tommy Cooper

amandaallen243
amandaallen243
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)

2Tall (4/12/2013)
Hi to all. I want to update a column that links to an external document. The external documents have been converted from .TIF to .pdf. The file name remains the same.

Hey, how are things going? would you please post the correct code that you have implemented with Phil's advice? Thanks you.:-)
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (44K reputation)SSC-Forever (44K reputation)SSC-Forever (44K reputation)SSC-Forever (44K reputation)SSC-Forever (44K reputation)SSC-Forever (44K reputation)SSC-Forever (44K reputation)SSC-Forever (44K reputation)

amandaallen243 (2/26/2014)
2Tall (4/12/2013)

Hey, how are things going? would you please post the correct code that you have implemented with Phil's advice? Thanks you.:-)

Why? Don't you believe that Phil's code is correct?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
     Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
Although they tell us that they want it real bad, our primary goal is to ensure that we dont actually give it to them that way.
Although change is inevitable, change for the better is usually not.
Just because you can do something in PowerShell, doesnt mean you should. Wink

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
2Tall
2Tall
Say Hey Kid

Hi. Phil's code is the way to go Smile
Phil (the other one)

Tommy Cooper

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.