Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Match firstname lastname

Match firstname lastname

Author
diesel
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi,

Could anyone help me with T-SQL to match names. I have to match names from one database to bank account details entered by clients in another. The problem is that clients enter full name, initials, fistname last and lastname first, spouses names etc. for account details. Huge dilemma!

Thanks in advance,

diesel

j.o.s.
j.o.s.
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (120 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (120 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (120 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (120 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (120 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (120 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (120 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (120 reputation)

Instead of trying to compare single column values to multivalue columns, look at using the like operator to search through the multi-value columns looking for instances of the name you are searching. If you post your schema, we can show you the T-SQL.

rnelson_shs
rnelson_shs
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (34 reputation)SSC Rookie (34 reputation)SSC Rookie (34 reputation)SSC Rookie (34 reputation)SSC Rookie (34 reputation)SSC Rookie (34 reputation)SSC Rookie (34 reputation)SSC Rookie (34 reputation)

I agree that seeing the schema will up. The logic will might be a bit complex, may have to have more than 1 temp table, but again without the schema (from both databases), it's a hard call.

5409045121009-7368
5409045121009-7368
Say Hey Kid
Say Hey Kid (672 reputation)Say Hey Kid (672 reputation)Say Hey Kid (672 reputation)Say Hey Kid (672 reputation)Say Hey Kid (672 reputation)Say Hey Kid (672 reputation)Say Hey Kid (672 reputation)Say Hey Kid (672 reputation)

Maybe more of the business rules aswell, how do you determine if Joe Doe is really Joe Doe in the other database, both maybe married to a Sue.

David.Poole
David.Poole
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)

How are you going to cater for Rob, Bob, Robert, Robin, Bert. They could all be the same person or they could be all different.

Speaking as someone who has done more name and address matching than I've had hot dinners this is not something you should do on financially sensitive data such as bank accounts.

The best you could hope for would be and exact name and address match, but that is likely to be about 40% of cases if you are lucky.

LinkedIn Profile

Newbie on www.simple-talk.com
diesel
diesel
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)

All valid points. I have done a link to the QAS package we use, (ACE in the USA) which narrows it down. I guess that considering it's not the brightest of requests I have had from Customer Services I will send the extract to them to wade through. Revenge is sweet.
Thanks for the help!

emoore 99634
emoore 99634
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)

I would use Fuzzy Matching in SSIS. Throw everything to temp table. Remove your direct matches and then fuzzy matching the rest. Sorry can't give more details, but I did this in a project once when we were trying to correlate various school lists across government agencies. A joy that was.
laurie-789651
laurie-789651
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (424 reputation)SSC-Addicted (424 reputation)SSC-Addicted (424 reputation)SSC-Addicted (424 reputation)SSC-Addicted (424 reputation)SSC-Addicted (424 reputation)SSC-Addicted (424 reputation)SSC-Addicted (424 reputation)

I don't think the OP will notice because he hasn't logged in since 2009....
emoore 99634
emoore 99634
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)

True, but others reading through a forum might be looking for ideas on how to tackle problems like this.
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)

emoore 99634 (9/24/2012)
True, but others reading through a forum might be looking for ideas on how to tackle problems like this.

+1

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
Although they tell us that they want it real bad, our primary goal is to ensure that we dont actually give it to them that way.
Although change is inevitable, change for the better is not.
Just because you can do something in PowerShell, doesnt mean you should. Wink

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.