Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

dbWarden - A Free SQL Server Monitoring Package

dbWarden - A Free SQL Server Monitoring Package

Author
Stevie Rounds
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (38 reputation)SSC Rookie (38 reputation)SSC Rookie (38 reputation)SSC Rookie (38 reputation)SSC Rookie (38 reputation)SSC Rookie (38 reputation)SSC Rookie (38 reputation)SSC Rookie (38 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item dbWarden - A Free SQL Server Monitoring Package
jamesHuang
jamesHuang
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)

Stevie and Michael,
Sorry! I want to give five stars but when I click the star the page submitted!!
Blush
You are my heroes!!

Regards
James
Stevie Rounds
Stevie Rounds
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (38 reputation)SSC Rookie (38 reputation)SSC Rookie (38 reputation)SSC Rookie (38 reputation)SSC Rookie (38 reputation)SSC Rookie (38 reputation)SSC Rookie (38 reputation)SSC Rookie (38 reputation)

We are glad you like it!
alchemistmatt
alchemistmatt
Old Hand
Old Hand (303 reputation)Old Hand (303 reputation)Old Hand (303 reputation)Old Hand (303 reputation)Old Hand (303 reputation)Old Hand (303 reputation)Old Hand (303 reputation)Old Hand (303 reputation)

This looks interesting; thanks for sharing. I downloaded the script from Sourceforge and I see you define and populate field Reindex in the DatabaseSettings settings table. Although this field is mentioned in the data dictionary, I don't see any code that examines this switch to determine whether or not to do something. What am I missing? I already have Sql Server agent jobs in place to re-index, so I don't need indexing enabled, but I wanted to help you improve your script.

Matt

Stevie Rounds
Stevie Rounds
SSC Rookie

The reindex is a work in progress feature. We mention that in the article. It actually looks like we have the following text twice, :-) oops. Thanks!
*There is also a flag in the DatabaseSettings table for Reindexing. This is a work in progress feature. We created a wrapper proc for Ola Hallengren’s reindex/defrag script to look at this table to determine if a database should be skipped during reindex/defrag. We have not included the wrapper proc in the DBWarden script as of yet.
alchemistmatt
alchemistmatt
Old Hand
Old Hand (303 reputation)Old Hand (303 reputation)Old Hand (303 reputation)Old Hand (303 reputation)Old Hand (303 reputation)Old Hand (303 reputation)Old Hand (303 reputation)Old Hand (303 reputation)

I haven't run the code yet, but, as far as I can tell, you populate table DatabaseSettings with all DBs with dbid > 4, by default enabling all of the options, then you disable the options only for the databases that match WHERE [DBName] IN ('CHANGEME')".

Personally, I think you should add all of the databases but disable the settings by default (thus "name, 0,0,0,0") , then enable the options for the databases defined in the ChangeMe clause.

Stevie Rounds
Stevie Rounds
SSC Rookie

Thanks. That is a good idea about the DatabaseSettings defaulting to 0... My husband and I had that same conversation last week, but haven't changed it yet.
Paul Brewer
Paul Brewer
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (261 reputation)SSC Veteran (261 reputation)SSC Veteran (261 reputation)SSC Veteran (261 reputation)SSC Veteran (261 reputation)SSC Veteran (261 reputation)SSC Veteran (261 reputation)SSC Veteran (261 reputation)

You have to take your hat off here to RedGate and SQLServerCentral. They develop monitoring tools but are happy to publish free, but less feature rich, alternatives on their website!
Divine Flame
Divine Flame
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)

This is some excellent piece of work Steve & Michael! Thank you for sharing this with the community :-).

Sujeet Singh
gsc_dba
gsc_dba
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)

Awesome script, I had most of these in separate scripts and now have a combined solution - thanks! :-)

I did get one error, and fixed it by with this:

IF OBJECT_ID('tempdb..#tempdates') IS NOT NULL
BEGIN
DROP TABLE #TEMPDATES
END

I think one of the conditional checks did not create the table so wasnt able to drop it.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
[font=Courier New]gsc_dba[/font]
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.