SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

How to script table data with either TSQL or Powershell?

How to script table data with either TSQL or Powershell?

Author
Roust_m
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi,

I can use GUI of the MS to script out data from a table. Is this possible using either Powershell or TSQL?

Thanks.

Lowell
Lowell
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (69K reputation)SSC Guru (69K reputation)SSC Guru (69K reputation)SSC Guru (69K reputation)SSC Guru (69K reputation)SSC Guru (69K reputation)SSC Guru (69K reputation)SSC Guru (69K reputation)

i just found this for powershell:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3891952/sql-server-script-data-smo-scripter-not-working-when-output-to-file

for doing it via TSQL, i've used a script by Narayana Vyas Kondreddi for years and years:

http://vyaskn.tripod.com/code.htm#inserts

there's a few parameters that need to be changed to varchar(max) if you trip over some errors, but it's a really great effort.

Lowell
--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!
j.miner
j.miner
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (414 reputation)SSC-Addicted (414 reputation)SSC-Addicted (414 reputation)SSC-Addicted (414 reputation)SSC-Addicted (414 reputation)SSC-Addicted (414 reputation)SSC-Addicted (414 reputation)SSC-Addicted (414 reputation)

Hi There,

I usually do not promote products; However, red gates source control software plug in allows you to save data into SVN. This data then can be restored with the schema to another database.

http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/entrypage/5-minutes?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=unmet_need&utm_campaign=sqlsourcecontrol&gclid=CLja-ZvqxbYCFcXe4AodyHEAAg

If you do not have the money to spend, BCP the data out/in using your favorite text format. Check out my blog showing how to do this.

http://craftydba.com/?p=1584

Microsoft even does this with the Adventure Works install script using a CSV format. I like a tilda ~ or fixed format since tabs do occur in unclean data.

BULK INSERT [Person].[ContactType] FROM '$(SqlSamplesSourceDataPath)ContactType.csv'
WITH (
CHECK_CONSTRAINTS,
CODEPAGE='ACP',
DATAFILETYPE='char',
FIELDTERMINATOR='\t',
ROWTERMINATOR='',
KEEPIDENTITY,
TABLOCK
);

Good luck

John

John Miner
Crafty DBA
www.craftydba.com
j.miner
j.miner
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (414 reputation)SSC-Addicted (414 reputation)SSC-Addicted (414 reputation)SSC-Addicted (414 reputation)SSC-Addicted (414 reputation)SSC-Addicted (414 reputation)SSC-Addicted (414 reputation)SSC-Addicted (414 reputation)

A couple more ideas.

1 - When I was doing Oracle work in a past life, the TOAD utility had the ability to turn a record set in a data grid to a bunch of SQL INSERT statements.

This is definitely slower than BCP.

2 - Use the import export utility, which is a wizard utility tool, to create and run a simple SSIS package. This uses bulk copy operation under the hood.

Many other ways can be listed, but the import/export and bcp utilities come installed out of the box.

John Miner
Crafty DBA
www.craftydba.com
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.