Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Truncate Table

Truncate Table

Author
Raghavendra Mudugal
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Awesome, actually really nice one.

(I had developed imaginary theory on this long back- what if the table is self joined with the key and would truncate work? - and I answered myself "probably yes - as it is a same table" - but never tried it practically, this was really good to see my imagination in the reality)

ww; Raghu
--
The first and the hardest SQL statement I have wrote- "select * from customers" - and I was happy and felt smart.
venkat9.sql
venkat9.sql
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (270 reputation)SSC Veteran (270 reputation)SSC Veteran (270 reputation)SSC Veteran (270 reputation)SSC Veteran (270 reputation)SSC Veteran (270 reputation)SSC Veteran (270 reputation)SSC Veteran (270 reputation)

AAhhhh!!!!!! This one hurts.. I didn't trust my instincts and on top was lazy to check...

Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (717 reputation)Right there with Babe (717 reputation)Right there with Babe (717 reputation)Right there with Babe (717 reputation)Right there with Babe (717 reputation)Right there with Babe (717 reputation)Right there with Babe (717 reputation)Right there with Babe (717 reputation)

Interesting, good question.
Dana Medley
Dana Medley
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)

Great question. Took a guess on this one and got it right. Definitely learned something today. Thanks!

Everything is awesome!
mtassin
mtassin
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)

Koen Verbeeck (3/28/2013)
Whoops, guessed the wrong one. Nice question, learned something.

+1 didn't realize this either... probably because in general the tables I want to truncate have additional foreign keys that depend on them Smile

Still... good to know.

--Mark Tassin
MCITP - SQL Server DBA
Proud member of the Anti-RBAR alliance.
For help with Performance click this link
For tips on how to post your problems
SQLRNNR
SQLRNNR
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)

EZ PZ

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw

matthew.flower
matthew.flower
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)

I have to say that learning that a self-referencing Foreign Key doesn't prevent Truncate while interesting is probably not of that much practical value.

But I will say thanks for highlighting the very abbreviated form of Foreign Key definition is interesting and I didn't know that it could be reduced that much.
gmby
gmby
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)

good question. but for the life of me, i cannot come up with a reason to use this (nor anyone else where I work)- anybody?

jg
chgn01
chgn01
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)

BOL - Restrictions
You cannot use TRUNCATE TABLE on tables that:

•Are referenced by a FOREIGN KEY constraint. (You can truncate a table that has a foreign key that references itself.)

Do we have any chance to use a table that has a foreign key that references itself?

--------------------------------------
;-)“Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it.” ― Confucius
Stewart "Arturius" Campbell
Stewart "Arturius" Campbell
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.8K reputation)

chgn01 (3/28/2013)
BOL - Restrictions
You cannot use TRUNCATE TABLE on tables that:

•Are referenced by a FOREIGN KEY constraint. (You can truncate a table that has a foreign key that references itself.)

Do we have any chance to use a table that has a foreign key that references itself?

Take a Staff table, for example.
some of the columns. may include, inter alia:
StaffId INT IDENTITY(1,1) NOT NULL,
SystemLogin CHAR(10) NOT NULL,
ManagerId INT CONSTRAINT FK_STAFF_MANAGER FOREIGN KEY REFERENCES Staff(StaffId)

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.