Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

can't view all db_users when select * from sys.databaseprincipals

can't view all db_users when select * from sys.databaseprincipals

Author
KoldCoffee
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (839 reputation)SSC Eights! (839 reputation)SSC Eights! (839 reputation)SSC Eights! (839 reputation)SSC Eights! (839 reputation)SSC Eights! (839 reputation)SSC Eights! (839 reputation)SSC Eights! (839 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Per msdn, there is a permissions restrictions where,,,
Permissions
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any user can see their own user name, the system users, and the fixed database roles. To see other users, requires ALTER ANY USER, or a permission on the user. To see user-defined roles, requires ALTER ANY ROLE, or membership in the role.

Since I don't know who the db_users area, I need a query that I can run to see ALL db_users? Anyone know?
Lynn Pettis
Lynn Pettis
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)

Probably should have kept this with the other thread as it is related, but I have to ask; who is going to be running this procedure, normal users or DBAs?

Cool
Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
KoldCoffee
KoldCoffee
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (839 reputation)SSC Eights! (839 reputation)SSC Eights! (839 reputation)SSC Eights! (839 reputation)SSC Eights! (839 reputation)SSC Eights! (839 reputation)SSC Eights! (839 reputation)SSC Eights! (839 reputation)

I debated keeping it to same thread. Only I will use it to produce a list and ultimately a report. Whether someone will ask me to run it all the time, remains to be heard, and doubtful. Do you know a way other than
SELECT name, type, type_desc FROM sys.database_principals
Lynn Pettis
Lynn Pettis
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)

Does this mean you don't see all the users when you run the query?

Cool
Lynn Pettis

For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables

KoldCoffee
KoldCoffee
SSC Eights!

correct. I see my own, I see a few other people's, some windows usernames, and I used to think that was all of them until I read this article...
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms187328.aspx
where it says "Any user can see their own user name, the system users, a sql user without login, and the fixed database roles. To see other users, requires ALTER ANY USER, or a permission on the user. To see user-defined roles, requires ALTER ANY ROLE, or membership in the role. ". But, if I don't know what I don't know, I don't have a username to ALTER...
Lynn Pettis
Lynn Pettis
SSC-Insane

Are you the DBA? If not, I would talk to your DBA.

Cool
Lynn Pettis

KoldCoffee
KoldCoffee
SSC Eights!

Lynn, would you please not reply if you don't have an answer? I am looking for an answer to the question of how to search system tables or views to return a result set of all db users of a database.
Lynn Pettis
Lynn Pettis
SSC-Insane

KoldCoffee (3/27/2013)
Lynn, would you please not reply if you don't have an answer?

I have a possible answer, but I'm not going to give it to just anyone. If you aren't the DBA, then I encourage you to go talk to your DBA regarding this instead of trying to find ways around him or her.

Cool
Lynn Pettis

KoldCoffee
KoldCoffee
SSC Eights!

I suspected as much. No,I am not the dba but I talked to the dba. The dba doesn't know. The dba gave me this task.
Lynn Pettis
Lynn Pettis
SSC-Insane

Your DBA can create a signed stored procedure that runs with necessary permissions to allow the procedure to return to the user that data requested. I don't have the necessary info handy but I can get to it at home. I will try to post more tonight but not making promises as I have my daughter this week.

Cool
Lynn Pettis

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.