Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Do not log job history

Do not log job history

Author
George Luiz
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (11 reputation)Grasshopper (11 reputation)Grasshopper (11 reputation)Grasshopper (11 reputation)Grasshopper (11 reputation)Grasshopper (11 reputation)Grasshopper (11 reputation)Grasshopper (11 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi,

My SQL Server instances have some jobs that run very frequently ( some execute at every 30 seconds ) and these jobs are consuming all my job history log size and I am losing the history of my main jobs.

I already did some research and found how to increase this log size, but the best would be if I could say to not log some jobs' output. I did some some research, but I did not find anything about it.

Does anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks!
Orlando Colamatteo
Orlando Colamatteo
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)

I actually modify the default Agent history settings so that noisy jobs do not force important job history to be deleted. I have a job on all my instances that calls sp_purge_jobhistory to delete history for all jobs older than n-days (depends on instance) and if there are noisy jobs I might call it again for those specific jobs with a shorter retention period.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community. --Plato
George Luiz
George Luiz
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (11 reputation)Grasshopper (11 reputation)Grasshopper (11 reputation)Grasshopper (11 reputation)Grasshopper (11 reputation)Grasshopper (11 reputation)Grasshopper (11 reputation)Grasshopper (11 reputation)

Thanks!
CapnHector
CapnHector
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (917 reputation)SSC Eights! (917 reputation)SSC Eights! (917 reputation)SSC Eights! (917 reputation)SSC Eights! (917 reputation)SSC Eights! (917 reputation)SSC Eights! (917 reputation)SSC Eights! (917 reputation)

another option i have seen is that if you have a job that is run once a minute and its not triggered by any thing (DB stats logging in my example) is to set it up like follows

WHILE 1=1
BEGIN
DO STUFF
WAITFOR DELAY '00:01:00'
END

That way the job "Runs" once a minute but you dont get the log clutter.

For faster help in answering any problems Please read How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help - Jeff Moden for the best way to ask your question.

For performance Issues see how we like them posted here: How to Post Performance Problems - Gail Shaw

Need to Split some strings? Jeff Moden's DelimitedSplit8K
Jeff Moden's Cross tab and Pivots Part 1
Jeff Moden's Cross tab and Pivots Part 2
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.