SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Best Approach to Archieve DB

Best Approach to Archieve DB

Author
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (221K reputation)SSC Guru (221K reputation)SSC Guru (221K reputation)SSC Guru (221K reputation)SSC Guru (221K reputation)SSC Guru (221K reputation)SSC Guru (221K reputation)SSC Guru (221K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
runal_jagtap (3/18/2013)
4 View ... 0 replies w00t

14 minutes... broad subject. Need more patience. ;-)

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (221K reputation)SSC Guru (221K reputation)SSC Guru (221K reputation)SSC Guru (221K reputation)SSC Guru (221K reputation)SSC Guru (221K reputation)SSC Guru (221K reputation)SSC Guru (221K reputation)

runal_jagtap (3/18/2013)
Example -

We have a DB which have loads of data & we want to archiev it to some Server in such a way that

Scenario - Source DB have 5 yrs Data in it, we want to move the 5 yrs Data to Destination DB, & then will keep only one month data in Source DB, that means on monthly basis we will have less data in Sorce DB.

Please help me a best approach??

Will you ever have the need to access the data that's more than a month old through a GUI or stored procedure?

--Jeff Moden

Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

Helpful Links:
Forum FAQs
OnlyOneRJ
OnlyOneRJ
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (782 reputation)Right there with Babe (782 reputation)Right there with Babe (782 reputation)Right there with Babe (782 reputation)Right there with Babe (782 reputation)Right there with Babe (782 reputation)Right there with Babe (782 reputation)Right there with Babe (782 reputation)

Jeff, No we would never need a data a month old, incase if someone needs the data we can retrieve it from Archive DB..
but whats the best approach???w00t

Every Dog has a Tail !!!!! :-D
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru

One very effective approach would be to "partition" the table but that's only if you have the Enterprise Edition and, IIRC, if you don't mind the "archive" being in the same database. What that will do for you is make it almost instant to "archive" a previous month and it will reduce the nightly maintenance because you won't have to rebuild or reorganize the idexes for the entire table because, if you do it right, the indexes are partitioned, as well.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:
Forum FAQs
OnlyOneRJ
OnlyOneRJ
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (782 reputation)Right there with Babe (782 reputation)Right there with Babe (782 reputation)Right there with Babe (782 reputation)Right there with Babe (782 reputation)Right there with Babe (782 reputation)Right there with Babe (782 reputation)Right there with Babe (782 reputation)

Thanks Jeff :-)

Currently me planning to go with SSIS Package Automation...
Well see how i succedd.. incase any query i will come here again.. stating

65 views & 0 replies w00t ( :-D )

Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru

runal_jagtap (3/19/2013)
Thanks Jeff :-)

Currently me planning to go with SSIS Package Automation...
Well see how i succedd.. incase any query i will come here again.. stating

65 views & 0 replies w00t ( :-D )

So, what's the plan? Will the archive table be in a different database or the same database> I'm asking because although SSIS will certainly do the job, it seems like real overkill.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:
Forum FAQs
OnlyOneRJ
OnlyOneRJ
Right there with Babe

Jeff, Yup The Srever & the Database would be different...

Why it would be overkill w00t explain me.. coz i am going to do it.. i dont know how to do it..

david.alcock
david.alcock
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)

SSIS is normally utilised when the copy/move is complex, if it involves data transformations, validations etc.

'Only he who wanders finds new paths'
OnlyOneRJ
OnlyOneRJ
Right there with Babe

My Task is mentioned belwo..

Copy all data from Source to destination DB
Every month only the updated or new data needs to be transffered to destination..

Will SSIS help in this?

Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru

runal_jagtap (3/21/2013)
Jeff, Yup The Srever & the Database would be different...

Why it would be overkill w00t explain me.. coz i am going to do it.. i dont know how to do it..

If you've already decided to use SSIS, then my suggestion of making a simple job do a simple insert to the archive and a simple delete from the source would probably underwhelm everyone's gumption. Like I said, doing this through SSIS is real overkill.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:
Forum FAQs
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.