SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

DATETIME - 4

DATETIME - 4

Author
db4breakfast
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (469 reputation)SSC-Addicted (469 reputation)SSC-Addicted (469 reputation)SSC-Addicted (469 reputation)SSC-Addicted (469 reputation)SSC-Addicted (469 reputation)SSC-Addicted (469 reputation)SSC-Addicted (469 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Thanks for the question. I learned this precision rounding from March 12, inner join question from Archie Flockhart's comment. :-)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hai Ton
My Db4Breakfast blog.
Stewart "Arturius" Campbell
Stewart "Arturius" Campbell
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)

Interesting question, thanks Ron

mtassin
mtassin
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)

demonfox (3/17/2013)
L' Eomot Inversé (3/16/2013)
Nice question, and fine explanation, but that bit about "59.005" seems to have come from a different than the rest. ;-)

+1

May be, because, it's monday it looked like too much english and a long script to read . Then, I finally decided to go on with the question .. In the end, I realised it is a question about datetime millisecond precision w00t

eventually it was a worthy read ,a simple query with calm mind ...:-P
thanks for the question

Edit: english

Same here... but apparently I didn't consume enough coffee before I tried to answer this one... gah my head hurts.

--Mark Tassin
MCITP - SQL Server DBA
Proud member of the Anti-RBAR alliance.
For help with Performance click this link
For tips on how to post your problems
SQLRNNR
SQLRNNR
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)

Nice question.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw

sknox
sknox
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)

I'm curious: What was the point of the cursor-like WHILE and incrementing the ID by 3? Just Obfuscation? Why didn't you just write the query as:

SELECT ID AS 'Select number', DATETIMEFROMPARTS ([Year],M,D,H,Mi,S,Ms) AS 'Datetime'
,CAST(S AS CHAR(2)) + ':' + CAST(Ms AS CHAR(3)) AS 'Original seconds input'
FROM #T

Primo Dang
Primo Dang
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)

L' Eomot Inversé (3/16/2013)
Nice question, and fine explanation, but that bit about "59.005" seems to have come from a different than the rest. ;-)

I thought that part was weird too, made me think longer about the answer as though it was some kind of trick question, but then I decided to go with the answer that made more sense to me and got it right. =]

Thanks for yet another fine question, Ron!
Rose Bud
Rose Bud
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)

sknox (3/18/2013)
I'm curious: What was the point of the cursor-like WHILE and incrementing the ID by 3? Just Obfuscation? Why didn't you just write the query as:

SELECT ID AS 'Select number', DATETIMEFROMPARTS ([Year],M,D,H,Mi,S,Ms) AS 'Datetime'
,CAST(S AS CHAR(2)) + ':' + CAST(Ms AS CHAR(3)) AS 'Original seconds input'
FROM #T

I have the same question as sknox, except I might add an "order by" to his proposed query.
SathishK
SathishK
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (170 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (170 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (170 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (170 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (170 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (170 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (170 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (170 reputation)

Nice question, I learnt something new today
Ken Wymore
Ken Wymore
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)

Nice question. I've hit that precision issue before so I guessed correctly. I like that 2012 datefromparts function too.
Revenant
Revenant
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (7.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.3K reputation)

Nice one... Thanks, Ron!
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.