Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

DBCC CheckTable returns following results, best way to deal with this?

DBCC CheckTable returns following results, best way to deal with this?

Author
aurato
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (273 reputation)SSC Veteran (273 reputation)SSC Veteran (273 reputation)SSC Veteran (273 reputation)SSC Veteran (273 reputation)SSC Veteran (273 reputation)SSC Veteran (273 reputation)SSC Veteran (273 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I do have one further question. If there had been corruption in the clustered index, would I have needed to do a restore?
aurato
aurato
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (273 reputation)SSC Veteran (273 reputation)SSC Veteran (273 reputation)SSC Veteran (273 reputation)SSC Veteran (273 reputation)SSC Veteran (273 reputation)SSC Veteran (273 reputation)SSC Veteran (273 reputation)

Actually it seems like the problem is still present. The SP that first indicated there was a corrupt index worked once after the drop/create and failed again after.
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)

Group: Administrators
If the problem is still there, you have IO issues. It's not a SQL problem, but your hardware people are not running low enough level diagnostics, they don't know what to do, or they have drivers/firmware that has a bug and needs patching.

Contact your IO vendor.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)

Corruption in the clustered index is likely a call to Microsoft. This is the data, and so you can't rebuild.

If I had this, I'd try to BCP out the data from the table first, see if I could recover things. Likely the corruption is in certain pages, so if this doesn't work all at once, you may be able to find the ranges around the corruption and recover most data.

This is serious, and if you aren't sure of what is wrong, call Microsoft.

aurato
aurato
SSC Veteran

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (3/12/2013)
Corruption in the clustered index is likely a call to Microsoft. This is the data, and so you can't rebuild.

If I had this, I'd try to BCP out the data from the table first, see if I could recover things. Likely the corruption is in certain pages, so if this doesn't work all at once, you may be able to find the ranges around the corruption and recover most data.

This is serious, and if you aren't sure of what is wrong, call Microsoft.

I'm dealing with nonclustered indexes at the moment. Asked the question about clustered ones as a hypothetical. Dropping the two indexes without recreating (they don't get used very much) allowed the failing SP to run. Would you recommend migrating the databases on this disk to a different drive?
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC-Dedicated

I would move to different physical drives, but I'd also do diagnostics. Depending on your situation, you could have firmware/filter drivers (as Gail mentioned) causing issues.

These are strange, hard to pin down errors, but almost all the time they are related to hardware. Most of the hardware appears to work, which is what is frustrating.

GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)

aurato (3/12/2013)
Would you recommend migrating the databases on this disk to a different drive?

Well, ask yourself, would you leave important information on a drive that's giving repeated problems?

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

aurato
aurato
SSC Veteran

GilaMonster (3/12/2013)
aurato (3/12/2013)
Would you recommend migrating the databases on this disk to a different drive?

Well, ask yourself, would you leave important information on a drive that's giving repeated problems?

Migrating the database that was having issues tonight, but there are many production-critical databases on the suspect drive. We currently have a ticket open with the IO vendor. I'm not sure our team is treating this with enough urgency. No mention was made yet of migrating the other critical DBs (my reference to this thread has not fully convinced anyone that hardware is the issue). I will make the recommendation to move our most critical data to another drive.
GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)

Yeah, most people aren't convinced until something fails catastrophically. Make sure your backups are good.

Also, it isn't necessarily the physical drive. Could be the firmware, drives, switch, cache, any filter drivers in the IO stack, etc. In short, anything between SQL and the physical disk platters. In most systems these days, that's a lot of parts.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

aurato
aurato
SSC Veteran

GilaMonster (3/13/2013)
Yeah, most people aren't convinced until something fails catastrophically. Make sure your backups are good.

Also, it isn't necessarily the physical drive. Could be the firmware, drives, switch, cache, any filter drivers in the IO stack, etc. In short, anything between SQL and the physical disk platters. In most systems these days, that's a lot of parts.

The hardware support team concluded that because the temperature was unusually high on the drive (84 C), that was probably the cause. I'm told that we've installed some kind of extra cooling on it and now it's back within typical operational temperatures.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.