Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Counting for Labels

Counting for Labels

Author
dbaker 32911
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I am running all of my production labels using SSRS 2008R2

I am trying to constuct a label that will Print x number of labels based on a parameter.

For example, If a user wishes to print 5 labels starting at #1 they would select a start parameter value of 1 and an End Parameter value of 5.

The report would then Print 5 labels.

At the same time I would like to display 1 of 5, 2 of 5, etc... on each label.

Anybody have any suggestions? This one has me a little stumped!
Scott Murray-240410
Scott Murray-240410
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (249 reputation)SSC Veteran (249 reputation)SSC Veteran (249 reputation)SSC Veteran (249 reputation)SSC Veteran (249 reputation)SSC Veteran (249 reputation)SSC Veteran (249 reputation)SSC Veteran (249 reputation)

What about filtering the dataset or the tablix using the Top N values.
dbaker 32911
dbaker 32911
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)

The issue isn't so much with the query. The query only returns one record. This is probably a newbe issue but what I am trying to accomplish is simply to have the identical label print with 'Box 1 of 4' , 'Box 2of 4' etc...

Unfortunatly, I have not been able to figure out first how to print multiple labels from a single query yet.
Much less add the counts to the label.
Scott Murray-240410
Scott Murray-240410
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (249 reputation)SSC Veteran (249 reputation)SSC Veteran (249 reputation)SSC Veteran (249 reputation)SSC Veteran (249 reputation)SSC Veteran (249 reputation)SSC Veteran (249 reputation)SSC Veteran (249 reputation)

Not sure how you can get from one row to multiple labels other than passing a the count to the query. You could also potentially use the row number function once you get the correct number of rows.
Steven.Howes
Steven.Howes
SSChasing Mays
SSChasing Mays (658 reputation)SSChasing Mays (658 reputation)SSChasing Mays (658 reputation)SSChasing Mays (658 reputation)SSChasing Mays (658 reputation)SSChasing Mays (658 reputation)SSChasing Mays (658 reputation)SSChasing Mays (658 reputation)

Jeff Moden has some articles here on Tally tables. You could make a tally table with N rows in it (N being a Parameter passed to the query like Scott suggested) and join that table to your original table.
dbaker 32911
dbaker 32911
Forum Newbie

Thanks for the help guy's!

I now have my query returning x records based on the parameters, with a field (N) containing the count that I need.

fro example if the user select to start @ box 1 and print 5. The query returns 5 records with a field that contains 1,2,3,4, and 5 respectively!

Now the next part of the same issue.

How do I get the report to generate for each individual record? In the case above I would want it to have 5 pages to the report with the first one having a 1 for field (N), the second having a (2), etc...

I know it can't be too difficult and I am missing something basic.

Again, thanks in advance for the help!
Scott Murray-240410
Scott Murray-240410
SSC Veteran

I would set the page size to your label size, and then group on the N values and tell the group to page break between each group.
dbaker 32911
dbaker 32911
Forum Newbie

thank you for all of your help. I have it working now.

What I had to do is create a list and put all of the fields inside the list.

I added a page break after the list and it works great!:-D
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.