SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Trace flag 4199

Trace flag 4199

Author
colin.Leversuch-Roberts
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Generally do you run with this on or off?
I've always been slightly worried about setting this trace flag to ON as I don't really have any load like production on any other environment; however I'm thinking running without optimiser fixes may not be the best idea, for the system in question there's a lots of very complex and heavy sql and any performance improvements would be helpful < grin >

The GrumpyOldDBA
www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/
andrecesarr
andrecesarr
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)

Hi!

I work with more than 300 instances of SQL SERVER (all versions) and in all of it, we use this trace flag without problems Smile

Regards,

André CR
TheSQLGuru
TheSQLGuru
SSChampion
SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)

colin.Leversuch-Roberts (3/11/2013)
Generally do you run with this on or off?
I've always been slightly worried about setting this trace flag to ON as I don't really have any load like production on any other environment; however I'm thinking running without optimiser fixes may not be the best idea, for the system in question there's a lots of very complex and heavy sql and any performance improvements would be helpful < grin >

As you note there are quite a few optimizer "fixes" covered by that TF. The issue as always is what if a particular system or even single query gets regressed by one of those fixes?? That could be devastating for a particular application. You either test fully to KNOW you are good or you put it on and hope for the best. There is no middle ground here IMHO. I will say that I am in agreement with you and WANT those fixes enabled if I don't get those ugly regressions.

Best,
Kevin G. Boles
SQL Server Consultant
SQL MVP 2007-2012
TheSQLGuru on googles mail service
colin.Leversuch-Roberts
colin.Leversuch-Roberts
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)

I'm going to progress it through my environments the same as patches. Hopefully if there is an issue my monitoring and/or the testers will pick it up before we get to production.

The GrumpyOldDBA
www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.