SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Update master from detail

Update master from detail

Author
JimS-Indy
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (453 reputation)SSC-Addicted (453 reputation)SSC-Addicted (453 reputation)SSC-Addicted (453 reputation)SSC-Addicted (453 reputation)SSC-Addicted (453 reputation)SSC-Addicted (453 reputation)SSC-Addicted (453 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I have a timesheet master table and a related timesheet detail table. Each detail row could trigger need for an override approval of the whole timesheet. Currently, I have an ASP.Net application that checks for 1 or more detail rows needing override approval, and updates the master column "RequiresOV" (int). I'm thinking of setting a trigger on the detail table to do the update on the master automatically anytime a row requiring override permission is added, updated, or deleted. It would simply add up all the detail rows requiring Override, and update the master appropriately.

Alternatively, I could make the column in the master a computed column that does roughly the same thing.

Override rows are uncommon, say 5% of timesheets contain an override row. The average timesheet has maybe 300 rows, and there are maybe a dozen timesheets submitted per week. Some are submitted in bulk (uploaded from a workbook...) and some are hand-entered in an ASP.Net app, one row at a time.

What do you guys think?

Jim
Sergiy
Sergiy
SSChampion
SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I would not update the master table but set up another "queue" table for approval requests.
Once a "details" row is updates the coresponding key value is inserted by the trigger into the "queue" table, unless it's not already there:
INSERT INTO Queue (MasterKey)
SELECT MasterKey FROM Details D
WHERE NOT EXISTS(select * from Queue Q where Q.MasterKey = D.MasterKey)

Once Approval process is completed for any particular MaskterKey it's just removed from the Queue table.

You may wish to add a "time stamp" column to the queue table with default GETDATE().
Then it will be easy to process requests in order they've been submitted.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.