Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

ORDER BY = Bubble Sort ? Quick Sort ? Insertion Sort ?

ORDER BY = Bubble Sort ? Quick Sort ? Insertion Sort ?

Author
GilaMonster
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
karthik M (3/8/2013)
whereever the optimizer sort the data, it sould use some algorothim to do this operation? Right?

My question is simple, is there any alogrithm used for ORDER BY clause or not by the optimizer?

As I said earlier, the optimiser won't use any algorithm. The optimiser optimises queries, it doesn't run them.

Sure there will be algorithms used for order by (and for every single other operation given the definition of 'algorithm'). Why does it matter which one SQL uses?

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

karthik M
karthik M
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)

Why does it matter which one SQL uses?

I am asking "Out of Curiosity" to know the algorithm used by the engine.

karthik
karthik M
karthik M
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)

is this a secret maintened by microsoft ? :-)

karthik
Grant Fritchey
Grant Fritchey
SSCoach
SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)

karthik M (3/8/2013)

Short answer, yes.

Longer answer, Microsoft publishes some of the internals because it helps people understand how or why things are occurring within the system. Also, some people figure out some of the internals through trial & error, investigation, or even putting a debugger on the system. But all the internals are not published. There are lots and lots of proprietary information that Microsoft has inside the code that they just don't feel the need to share. The exact sorting process used by the query engine (not the optimizer) is not something I've seen documentation on, so I suspect it's protected.

----------------------------------------------------
The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood...
Theodore Roosevelt

The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server Query Performance Tuning and SQL Server Execution Plans
Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
HowardW
HowardW
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)

karthik M (3/8/2013)

In the sense that it's proprietary information that they've chosen not to share and SQL Server is a closed source product, yes.
GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)

karthik M (3/8/2013)
Why does it matter which one SQL uses?

I am asking "Out of Curiosity" to know the algorithm used by the engine.

So download the public symbols, attach a debugger to SQL Server and walk through what runs when you order a query.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Jason-299789
Jason-299789
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)

I would suspect that there's some sort of internal algorithm used to select the best sort algorithm for a given data set, based on the data type, data volumes etc

Matt Miller (#4)
Matt Miller (#4)
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (7.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.6K reputation)

Besides - all of those sorts methods you mentioned presume a flat list structure. The internals for how tables are structured are anything but flat.

In short - I suspect the actual answer is "none of the above".

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?
crmitchell
crmitchell
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (450 reputation)SSC-Addicted (450 reputation)SSC-Addicted (450 reputation)SSC-Addicted (450 reputation)SSC-Addicted (450 reputation)SSC-Addicted (450 reputation)SSC-Addicted (450 reputation)SSC-Addicted (450 reputation)

Matt Miller (#4) (3/8/2013)
Besides - all of those sorts methods you mentioned presume a flat list structure. The internals for how tables are structured are anything but flat.

In short - I suspect the actual answer is "none of the above".

I'd tend to agree with Matt on this - my suspicion is that it will use a heavily optimised hash table in most circumstances but the only people that can give you a definitive answer would be Microsoft.
You could try asking on MSDN.
Eugene Elutin
Eugene Elutin
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)

Curiosity is a great thing!
Without it, elephants wouldn't have trunks...

What does the Crocodile have for dinner?...

Hehe

How to post your question to get the best and quick help
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.