SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Report doesn't run from Reporting Server

Report doesn't run from Reporting Server

Author
tt-615680
Say Hey Kid
Say Hey Kid (687 reputation)Say Hey Kid (687 reputation)Say Hey Kid (687 reputation)Say Hey Kid (687 reputation)Say Hey Kid (687 reputation)Say Hey Kid (687 reputation)Say Hey Kid (687 reputation)Say Hey Kid (687 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Dear All,

I'm trying to run a Report on the Reporting Server but for some reason the reports executes but hangs. In Visual Studio, when the Report is run from the Dataset (right click on the Dataset-> Dataset Properties-> Query Designer-> execute the report) it works fine, but when I righ click on the actual report then select run the Report executs but it just hangs. I want to know what the cause of it could be please?

Thank you in advance!
Gazareth
Gazareth
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)

Typically that would indicate it's taking time to create and/or render the report. Are you getting an error or just the spinning wheel?
Leave it running until it times out & check the executionlog view in ReportServer database - it has fields TimeDataRetrieval, TimeProcessing, TimeRendering which can help you work out what's taking the time.
peterzeke
peterzeke
SSChasing Mays
SSChasing Mays (654 reputation)SSChasing Mays (654 reputation)SSChasing Mays (654 reputation)SSChasing Mays (654 reputation)SSChasing Mays (654 reputation)SSChasing Mays (654 reputation)SSChasing Mays (654 reputation)SSChasing Mays (654 reputation)

Sometimes when a report seems to run "forever" or timeout, the problem stems from either having an underlying query that is written as "Select * From...." -- Seems like SSRS report manager gets tripped up by the "*" once in awhile, especially if the underlying fields have changed.

Another issue that sometimes causes problems is parameter sniffing. If your query uses a stored procedure where reporting services passes a parameter value, you may be running into parameter sniffing. Plenty of articles on SSC about easily overcoming this type of problem.

Just my two cents.

--Pete

tt-615680
tt-615680
Say Hey Kid
Say Hey Kid (687 reputation)Say Hey Kid (687 reputation)Say Hey Kid (687 reputation)Say Hey Kid (687 reputation)Say Hey Kid (687 reputation)Say Hey Kid (687 reputation)Say Hey Kid (687 reputation)Say Hey Kid (687 reputation)

Thank you for your reply! Yes, the Reports runs but hungs for a very long time but eventually gets the data but my question is why would the Stored Procedure run quicker than the when running the Rport on the Server.
peterzeke
peterzeke
SSChasing Mays
SSChasing Mays (654 reputation)SSChasing Mays (654 reputation)SSChasing Mays (654 reputation)SSChasing Mays (654 reputation)SSChasing Mays (654 reputation)SSChasing Mays (654 reputation)SSChasing Mays (654 reputation)SSChasing Mays (654 reputation)

I wish I could tell you exactly why a report might be so much slower in report manager vs. BIDS, especially when the report is referencing a parameterized stored proc.

Nonetheless, based on my own experiences, when a report does run slow in report manager vs BIDS, I usually discover a parameter sniffing problem.

So, here are a couple of links to articles about overcoming parameter sniffing:

http://elegantcode.com/2008/05/17/sql-parameter-sniffing-and-what-to-do-about-it/

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/blogs/practicalsqldba/2012/06/25/sql-server-parameter-sniffing/

--Pete

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.