Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Problem with Database mail

Problem with Database mail

Author
Aspet Golestanian Namagerdi
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (195 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (195 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (195 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (195 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (195 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (195 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (195 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (195 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I created Account and Profile from the scratch and when I run the following query:

SELECT items.subject,
items.last_mod_date
,l.description FROM dbo.sysmail_faileditems as items
INNER JOIN dbo.sysmail_event_log AS l
ON items.mailitem_id = l.mailitem_id

I didn't get any result.
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (195 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (195 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (195 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (195 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (195 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (195 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (195 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (195 reputation)

When I tried to run the DatabaseMail.exe manually in Windows event log I face with the following error message:

Exception Type: Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlIMail.Server.Common.BaseException
Message: There was an error on the connection. Reason: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server), connection parameters: Server Name: ., Database Name: msdb
SSC-Enthusiastic

Sorry ,I guess I have missed something.What is OPC three script?
MyDoggieJessie
MyDoggieJessie
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)

It was in the first response to your post - OPC.Three gave you a script to run

SSChasing Mays
SSChasing Mays (641 reputation)SSChasing Mays (641 reputation)SSChasing Mays (641 reputation)SSChasing Mays (641 reputation)SSChasing Mays (641 reputation)SSChasing Mays (641 reputation)SSChasing Mays (641 reputation)SSChasing Mays (641 reputation)

Does the server have anti-virus software on it?

Some anti-virus services will block any email that tries to send from a server to protect it from being used to send spam. When I set up a SQL server to use Database Mail, I routinely have to ask our engineer in charge of anti-virus to turn off this blocking on on the server.

Check the System & Application logs for messages about emails being blocked that correspond to your attempts to use Database Mail, and ask whoever configures anti-virus in your organization.
Welsh Corgi
Welsh Corgi
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.2K reputation)

Aspet Golestanian Namagerdi (3/4/2013)
In sysmail_sentitems,there is not any record.
In sysmail_unsentitems,In includes all the test emails I have tried
In sysmail_event_log does not show that DatabaseMail process has been started to stopped at all.
The last two event in this table are(I manullay stopped and started the mail Queue):
The mail queue stopped by login...
The mail queue started by login...

Why don't you try seaching:

SELECT *
FROM msdb.dbo.sysmail_allitems

Why haven't you tried opc.three queries?

Whay are you trying to execute the DatabaseMail.exe?

For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, click on the following...
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/

For better answers on performance questions, click on the following...
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/
SSC-Enthusiastic

In sysmail_faileditems I didn't see any failure.I ran DatabaseMail.exe manullly,because I didn't see any
"DatabaseMail process is started" & "DatabaseMail process is shutting down" events in msdb.dbo.sysmail_log table.Even when I e3xecute the DatabaseMail,nothing happened and also I didnt get any error message?

Any thoughts?
dan-572483
dan-572483
SSChasing Mays
SSChasing Mays (641 reputation)SSChasing Mays (641 reputation)SSChasing Mays (641 reputation)SSChasing Mays (641 reputation)SSChasing Mays (641 reputation)SSChasing Mays (641 reputation)SSChasing Mays (641 reputation)SSChasing Mays (641 reputation)

Did you rule out anti-virus email blocking as I suggested? That's the only issue I've had with Database Mail in my environment (We're using McAfee AV).
lkennedy76
lkennedy76
Old Hand
Old Hand (345 reputation)Old Hand (345 reputation)Old Hand (345 reputation)Old Hand (345 reputation)Old Hand (345 reputation)Old Hand (345 reputation)Old Hand (345 reputation)Old Hand (345 reputation)

I had the same issue about a month ago and after serveral head banging hours I contacted the mail server guys, the server was not set to send mail and the prot was blocked. Please run OPC's scripts as well! Smile

MCSA SQL Server 2012
dan-572483
dan-572483
SSChasing Mays

Sometime's it's not the database ;-)
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.