SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

SQL View not Exporting to Excel via DTS Package

SQL View not Exporting to Excel via DTS Package

Author
nbradley 36689
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi I hope I am posting this to the correct forum.

I fairly new to SQL Server and SSDT so here goes.

I have a package that does the following steps:

1. File system task that delete a backup file.
2. File system task Renames the current file to backup file name.
3. File system task that copies a existing file that only has headers in it for the extract of the data for a view.
4. Dataflow task that inserts the data from the SQL to the Excel file in step 3. [color=#925d400]This is where the process breaks, the data is not inserted into the Excel file.[/color]
There are 4 more steps that do the same thing as steps 1-4 above the only difference is it is on different files in the same location as steps 1-4 and those 4 steps complete without any issues.

I am wondering if anyone has come across this problem before and how they resolved the issue.

BTW when I run the package from my local SSDT the process runs and works without any issues. The failure only happens when the package is deployed on the SQL Server.

If this isn't the right forum for this question. Please let me know the correct forum and I will be happy to post it there.

Thanks

NB
Orlando Colamatteo
Orlando Colamatteo
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)

Define "breaks." Do you receive an error or does the package execution succeed but no data is present in the Excel file?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community. --Plato
nbradley 36689
nbradley 36689
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)

Hi, thanks for asking the package succeeds with no error messages, but the data is not written to the excel file.
Orlando Colamatteo
Orlando Colamatteo
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)

What does your logging say when run through SQL Server as compared to when it runs successfully through SSDT?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community. --Plato
nbradley 36689
nbradley 36689
Forum Newbie

Thanks for the responses, we found this was a permissions issue. The issue has been resolved.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.