Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Backup Failed but backup file is created

Backup Failed but backup file is created

Author
namdinh4
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hey guys,

I have an issue with backing up a 80GB database over the network,
Here is the error:A nonrecoverable I/O error occurred on file "\\yyy\xxx.BAK" 64(The specified network name is no longer available.). BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally.

I know it is network related issue but the backup file (xxx.bak) is created on directory (\\yyy).
I checked the backupset table on the server, that i backed up the database from, and verified that there is no entry related to (\\yyy\xxx.bak). I think it means that the database server does not recognize this backup file (xxx.bak) on directory (\\yyy)
I was doubting the integrity of the backup file, so I verify the file by using Restore Verifyonly; the result comes back: the backup file is valid.
I restored the backup file (xxx.bak) to a different database, and I was successfully restore that database to different server.

Here is my question:
How can the backup file is created when the backup command is terminated?

Thanks in advanced.
Patrick_Fiedler
Patrick_Fiedler
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (244 reputation)SSC Veteran (244 reputation)SSC Veteran (244 reputation)SSC Veteran (244 reputation)SSC Veteran (244 reputation)SSC Veteran (244 reputation)SSC Veteran (244 reputation)SSC Veteran (244 reputation)

Hi,

have you first checked the backup with restore headeronly?
Occurs the error on every backup?

Kind regards,

Patrick Fiedler
Consultant

Fiedler SQL Consulting

www.fiedler-sql-consulting.de

namdinh4
namdinh4
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)

Yes I have.
I checked the file already using headeronly, filelistonly, and verifyonly. There is no issue with the file. The fact that i was able to restore that file on another server proving that the file is valid.
Lynn Pettis
Lynn Pettis
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)

Is this a native backup or are you using third party software to compress the backup?

Cool
Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
namdinh4
namdinh4
Grasshopper

It is a native backup. I use SSIS script job to fire the backup command.
Patrick_Fiedler
Patrick_Fiedler
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (244 reputation)SSC Veteran (244 reputation)SSC Veteran (244 reputation)SSC Veteran (244 reputation)SSC Veteran (244 reputation)SSC Veteran (244 reputation)SSC Veteran (244 reputation)SSC Veteran (244 reputation)

On which Type of device you are backing up?

Kind regards,

Patrick Fiedler
Consultant

Fiedler SQL Consulting

namdinh4
namdinh4
Grasshopper

I backed up the database on a share folder. The media is raid 5 disks.
Patrick_Fiedler
Patrick_Fiedler
SSC Veteran

Have you tried to backup the Database on a local Drive? Is there the Same error?

Has the SQL Service Account Full Control of this Share?

Kind regards,

Patrick Fiedler
Consultant

Fiedler SQL Consulting

david.alcock
david.alcock
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (261 reputation)SSC Veteran (261 reputation)SSC Veteran (261 reputation)SSC Veteran (261 reputation)SSC Veteran (261 reputation)SSC Veteran (261 reputation)SSC Veteran (261 reputation)SSC Veteran (261 reputation)

Have you restored to a test server and ran CHECKDB on the restored database?

'Only he who wanders finds new paths'
namdinh4
namdinh4
Grasshopper

yes, everything is good. I could not figure out why the file is there when the backup command is terminated.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.