SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Web dev suggestions

Web dev suggestions

Author
T_Peters
UDP Broadcaster
UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
In some circles this could be as touchy a topic as asking which religion to follow.

I'm a full time DBA with an interested in learning some web development. I have some databases, both MS SQL and MySQL, that I'd like to put my own web front end on. It would be mostly for displaying aggregated data and some data entry. I haven't done any web development since learning HTML 10+ years ago. Any suggestions on what language to start with?

Thanks,
Tim
Jhakovee
Jhakovee
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)

You can start your website through html or html 5 and css. Since, you mentioned that you have insights about html.

Cheap SEO London covering north and West London Seo
Sean Lange
Sean Lange
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)

T_Peters (2/22/2013)
In some circles this could be as touchy a topic as asking which religion to follow.

I'm a full time DBA with an interested in learning some web development. I have some databases, both MS SQL and MySQL, that I'd like to put my own web front end on. It would be mostly for displaying aggregated data and some data entry. I haven't done any web development since learning HTML 10+ years ago. Any suggestions on what language to start with?

Thanks,
Tim

You are right that this can become a touchy topic. The most common web development platform currently is ASP.NET. The other is php. As DBA I will assume you pretty comfortable with MS products. Given that I would probably suggest looking at ASP.NET. Doesn't make any difference really if you chose VB or C# although C# tends to be more popular and more of the examples online are in C#. The translation from one to the other though is pretty trivial.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns
Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1)
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2)
Sean Lange
Sean Lange
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)

Jhakovee (3/6/2013)
You can start your website through html or html 5 and css. Since, you mentioned that you have insights about html.

Not sure if this post was intended as help or spam for your SEO links in your signature.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

T_Peters
T_Peters
UDP Broadcaster
UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)

Thanks for the advice Sean, though I'm a bit reluctant to take it from a Sporting KC fan Smile GO TIMBERS!

Thanks,
Tim - RCTID
Sean Lange
Sean Lange
SSC Guru

T_Peters (3/7/2013)
Thanks for the advice Sean, though I'm a bit reluctant to take it from a Sporting KC fan Smile GO TIMBERS!

Thanks,
Tim - RCTID

LOL. You guys recruited...err stole...Jewsbury from us!!! Having lived in Seattle for a number in years it seems we would be rivals no matter what since they are my #2. :-D

I have been a season ticket holder for the Wizards...err Sporting since '97. Made it to several games in 96 too.

T_Peters
T_Peters
UDP Broadcaster

A Sounders fan too! This is unbearable :-P
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.