SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Shrink Data file with truncateonly

Shrink Data file with truncateonly

Author
mwagh
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (81 reputation)SSC Journeyman (81 reputation)SSC Journeyman (81 reputation)SSC Journeyman (81 reputation)SSC Journeyman (81 reputation)SSC Journeyman (81 reputation)SSC Journeyman (81 reputation)SSC Journeyman (81 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi,
I wanted to shrink a data file with the truncate only clause.Will i require to rebuild my indexes?
SQLisAwE5OmE
SQLisAwE5OmE
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)

mwagh (2/19/2013)
Hi,
I wanted to shrink a data file with the truncate only clause.Will i require to rebuild my indexes?

Shrinking data file is not recommended as it will create fragmentation and it affects the performance. What's the reason you are trying to shrink?

SueTons.

Regards,
SQLisAwe5oMe.
mwagh
mwagh
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (81 reputation)SSC Journeyman (81 reputation)SSC Journeyman (81 reputation)SSC Journeyman (81 reputation)SSC Journeyman (81 reputation)SSC Journeyman (81 reputation)SSC Journeyman (81 reputation)SSC Journeyman (81 reputation)

thanks for your reply.I know it is not recommended as it will cause fragmentation of indexes but i need to free up some space.

As per http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us//library/ms189493.aspx
the TruncateOnly clause "Releases all free space at the end of the file to the operating system but does not perform any page movement inside the file"

So i was hoping that this should not create fragmentation as there is no movement of pages. Unsure
GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (218K reputation)SSC Guru (218K reputation)SSC Guru (218K reputation)SSC Guru (218K reputation)SSC Guru (218K reputation)SSC Guru (218K reputation)SSC Guru (218K reputation)SSC Guru (218K reputation)

Correct, shrink with truncate only doesn't fragment indexes, but it also may not reduce space usage if the space and the end of the file is in use.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

mwagh
mwagh
SSC Journeyman

Thanks!! works in my case as i have a lot initially allocated space which was never touched.
SQLisAwE5OmE
SQLisAwE5OmE
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)

mwagh (2/19/2013)
Thanks!! works in my case as i have a lot initially allocated space which was never touched.

Hi, sorry, I was not aware of this, anyway, with truncate only option only available for sql 2005 right? because I know they took away this option for 2008 and above. Just curious which version you are using.

SueTons.

Regards,
SQLisAwe5oMe.
anthony.green
anthony.green
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (23K reputation)SSC-Insane (23K reputation)SSC-Insane (23K reputation)SSC-Insane (23K reputation)SSC-Insane (23K reputation)SSC-Insane (23K reputation)SSC-Insane (23K reputation)SSC-Insane (23K reputation)

SQLCrazyCertified (2/19/2013)
mwagh (2/19/2013)

Hi, sorry, I was not aware of this, anyway, with truncate only option only available for sql 2005 right? because I know they took away this option for 2008 and above. Just curious which version you are using.

SueTons.

TRUNCATE ONLY been removed from the BACKUP LOG command, but not from DBCC SHRINKFILE

Want an answer fast? Try here
How to post data/code for the best help - Jeff Moden
When a question, really isn't a question - Jeff Smith
Need a string splitter, try this - Jeff Moden
How to post performance problems - Gail Shaw
CrossTabs-Part1 & Part2 - Jeff Moden
SQL Server Backup, Integrity Check, and Index and Statistics Maintenance - Ola Hallengren
Managing Transaction Logs - Gail Shaw
Troubleshooting SQL Server: A Guide for the Accidental DBA - Jonathan Kehayias and Ted Krueger

SQLisAwE5OmE
SQLisAwE5OmE
SSCrazy

anthony.green (2/19/2013)
mwagh (2/19/2013)

SueTons.

TRUNCATE ONLY been removed from the BACKUP LOG command, but not from DBCC SHRINKFILE

Got it. Thank you.

SueTons.

Regards,
SQLisAwe5oMe.
mwagh
mwagh
SSC Journeyman

Hi,

It is still there in Shrink File .I use 2008 R2.
GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (218K reputation)SSC Guru (218K reputation)SSC Guru (218K reputation)SSC Guru (218K reputation)SSC Guru (218K reputation)SSC Guru (218K reputation)SSC Guru (218K reputation)SSC Guru (218K reputation)

Hi, sorry, I was not aware of this, anyway, with truncate only option only available for sql 2005 right? because I know they took away this option for 2008 and above.

SQL 2000, SQL 2005, SQL 2008, SQL 2008 R2, SQL 2012, not on the deprecation list, so 2 more versions at least, personally I doubt it'll be removed, too useful and no good reason to remove it. Maybe earlier too, never worked on SQL 7 though.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.