SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Error Creating Database in SQL 2012 on Windows Server 2012

Error Creating Database in SQL 2012 on Windows Server 2012

Author
Express12
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Error creating a database on SQL Server 2012 (enterprise edition) on Windows Server 2012

- installed SQL 2012 Enterprise on Windows Server 2012
- during install, I specified -- default database data and log drive directories to E:\SQLdata and H:\SQLLog respectively
- SQL installed fine

Now, when I attempt to create a database called DBAdmin (the default paths show up correctly in the GUI as E:\SQLdata for the .mdf AND H:\SQLLog for the .ldf) I receive error message:

Create failed for Database. Directory lookup for the file "E:\SQLData\DBAdmin.mdf" failed with the operating system error 5(Access is denied)
CREATE DATABASE failed. Some file names listed could not be created. Check related errors.

I'm DBA on 80+ production servers. First time using SQL 2012 on W/ 2012. I'm Remote Desktop'd into the server and part of A/D group defined as both Local Administrator group and also explicitly defined as sysadmin in SQL server. My SQL Services are running under a single Windows domain acct also in Local Admin Group and explicitly in sysadmin on SQL Server. I've also explicitly added my account and the SQL Server services account to E: and H: drive permissions with FULL control. Not sure why I cannot create a database here???

BT
Express12
Express12
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)

Researching this potential resolution now:

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1300021-2799-2.aspx#bm1395349

BT
Express12
Express12
SSCarpal Tunnel

Applying the VMWare KB fix worked for us: http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1012225

thank you..

BT

BT
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.