Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Updating Views

Updating Views

Author
sestell1
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Good question!

I wondered about an ALTER VIEW statement being there as well since altering the view inherently refreshes it, but then recalled that *'s aren't allowed in schema-bound objects. Nice!
jagpatel9
jagpatel9
Say Hey Kid
Say Hey Kid (666 reputation)Say Hey Kid (666 reputation)Say Hey Kid (666 reputation)Say Hey Kid (666 reputation)Say Hey Kid (666 reputation)Say Hey Kid (666 reputation)Say Hey Kid (666 reputation)Say Hey Kid (666 reputation)

Nice 1 Steve. However, I don't recommend anyone to use SELECT * FROM in view.
SQLRNNR
SQLRNNR
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)

Thanks Steve

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw

Ken Wymore
Ken Wymore
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)

Good question, thanks Steve. Definitely highlights an important point when using views.
Miles Neale
Miles Neale
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)

Hugo Kornelis (2/7/2013)
paul s-306273 (2/7/2013)
Steve - 0 points to you for creating a view using 'select *'...
:-P

So how should Steve have made a QotD about the dangers of select * in a view without using select * ???

Good question, great discussion, and learned from both. Hugo has a point you cannot illustrate the problems and pitfalls without illustrating the problem or pitfall. Our teachers use to say "Don't ever say lookin, say looking! " And then some smarty would say "But you just said lookin, why can't we?":-)

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)

Group: Administrators
alex.d.garland (2/7/2013)
Hugo Kornelis (2/7/2013)
paul s-306273 (2/7/2013)
Steve - 0 points to you for creating a view using 'select *'...
:-P

So how should Steve have made a QotD about the dangers of select * in a view without using select * ???

+1 - but I note that if a warning about using "SELECT *..." had been added to the explanation, this would have been even more helpful.

Fair point and added.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
EL Jerry
EL Jerry
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)

Nice question, Steve. I knew the answer right away from previous posts in the forums.

By the way, I remember RBarry Young posted some code that he used to run overnight in order to rebuild all views. The code looked interesting and it made sure when a table was altered its views would be accurate next day. However, I'm unable to find the post. I will do some further search and post the link to it when I find it.
Saludos,

"El" Jerry.

"A watt of Ottawa" - Gerardo Galvan

To better understand your help request, please follow these best practices.
EL Jerry
EL Jerry
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)

Got it. Here it is:

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost1349883.aspx

Saludos,

"El" Jerry.

"A watt of Ottawa" - Gerardo Galvan

To better understand your help request, please follow these best practices.
TomThomson
TomThomson
SSChampion
SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)

EL Jerry (2/7/2013)
Got it. Here it is:

Saludos,

That is a version with some problems (misplaced '[' and ']', misplaced 'with scheamabinding' clause, using [] on identifiers in drop but not on create) which are easily fixed. I don't know whether Barry posted a corrected version later.
It was an amazing thread - I pity the OP having to put up with a lead who bases his decisions on a vivid imagination with a strong inclination towards fiction.

Tom

Ken Wymore
Ken Wymore
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)

L' Eomot Inversé (2/7/2013)
[quote]EL Jerry (2/7/2013)
Got it. Here it is:

Saludos,

Wow, that is a humorous thread! I am glad I don't work with that lead. Talk about misdirection...
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.