SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Best all-round monitoring tool for

Best all-round monitoring tool for

Author
Kevin Gill
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Grant Fritchey (2/6/2013)
I won't say bad things about the competition, but be sure you do a VERY thorough evaluation of the Quest/Dell offerings. Just saying.

Noted, thanks Smile

-------------------------------
Oh no!
SqlSWAT
SqlSWAT
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (232 reputation)SSC Veteran (232 reputation)SSC Veteran (232 reputation)SSC Veteran (232 reputation)SSC Veteran (232 reputation)SSC Veteran (232 reputation)SSC Veteran (232 reputation)SSC Veteran (232 reputation)

I have used Idera Diagnostic Manager for a log time now. I really like their dashboard where you have a one shot view of all the metrics that you would want to identify any performance issues.
I also use there alert system to get alerts on my email. You can tweak there already made templates for most of the monitoring metrics of a server : like cpu usage, job failed, deadlocks, disk io, disk space, page fragmentation,locks and blocks and lots more. Even reconfigure your own threshold for those metrics [Normal,Informational,Warning,Critical] according to your own preferences.. You even have a choice to create your own metrics.
This alert has greatly relived me from worrying about the server state and not having to babysit the server all the time.

I have not used REDGATE tools , but really want to try it. So I cannot compare between these tools as i have not tested all. I'm just writing here some of the features that may be useful and exactly what you are looking for.

Overall, Idera DM is a tools where Identifying performance related issues is very easy and quick. Further Diagnose and troubleshooting may take some more effort. Dm won't do everything for you.
pam.neeley
pam.neeley
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)

I have been using Confio Ignite for about a year and half and it is wonderful. I tested many and this was the easiest to setup with virtually no overhead on the servers that I was monitoring. I did not have to install anything on my production servers. You can easily drill down into issues, right to the query causing the problems and see if it is a new problem or something that has been building over time. Tuning advice and the actual execution plan are just a click away. Trending analysis can go back a year depending on how you set it up. Alerts can be created to notify you of issues right away. It is just a great tool that becomes your best friend.
MyDoggieJessie
MyDoggieJessie
SSChampion
SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)

+1 for Idera SQL Diagnostic Manager. I use it and have tried Red Gate's tool as well but preferred Idera because it had a nicer "look and feel"...decent built in reporting tools as well. Both do pretty much the same thing...I believe it's personal preference...

SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (443 reputation)SSC-Addicted (443 reputation)SSC-Addicted (443 reputation)SSC-Addicted (443 reputation)SSC-Addicted (443 reputation)SSC-Addicted (443 reputation)SSC-Addicted (443 reputation)SSC-Addicted (443 reputation)

I've also been evaluating monitoring software. Spotlight has changed to an instance pricing model, which could get pretty expensive pretty fast. We were quoted about $1,500 per instance. There's also no easy way to switch from one instance to another. We were thinking of using a floating license to install as needed. It would be a PITA to do so.

I still like their tools, but they make it more difficult now.
Michael Valentine Jones
Michael Valentine Jones
SSChampion
SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)

andre.quitta (1/29/2014)
I've also been evaluating monitoring software. Spotlight has changed to an instance pricing model, which could get pretty expensive pretty fast. We were quoted about $1,500 per instance. There's also no easy way to switch from one instance to another. We were thinking of using a floating license to install as needed. It would be a PITA to do so.

I still like their tools, but they make it more difficult now.

Idera SQL Diagnostic Manager uses instance pricing, but you can switch from monitoring one server to monitoring a different server fairly quickly, without having to have a new license. If you have 10 licenses, you can monitor 10 different servers at any one time, and can switch to monitoring a different server without buying a new license.

You should be aware that Idera SQL Diagnostic Manager requires a SQL Server to store the data it gathers.
digitalox
digitalox
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (451 reputation)SSC-Addicted (451 reputation)SSC-Addicted (451 reputation)SSC-Addicted (451 reputation)SSC-Addicted (451 reputation)SSC-Addicted (451 reputation)SSC-Addicted (451 reputation)SSC-Addicted (451 reputation)

We use Confio Ignite and Dell SQL Spotlight Enterprise. I like Ignite's breakdown of the SQL analysis, Spotlight for overall monitoring and alerting.
free_mascot
free_mascot
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (7.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.6K reputation)

I have used ignite and good for performance perspective i.e. long running queries.

---------------------------------------------------
"Thare are only 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand binary, and those who don't."
Ed Wagner
Ed Wagner
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (49K reputation)SSC-Forever (49K reputation)SSC-Forever (49K reputation)SSC-Forever (49K reputation)SSC-Forever (49K reputation)SSC-Forever (49K reputation)SSC-Forever (49K reputation)SSC-Forever (49K reputation)

We use SQL Sentry and are very satisfied with it. We were going through the same exercise of trying to find one and this came recommended by a speaker at a local PASS meeting.

It runs as executables and doesn't require a web server for reporting, which is a huge plus for me It also doesn't try to hide itself and can definitely handle lots of servers.

Tally Tables - Performance Personified
String Splitting with True Performance
Best practices on how to ask questions
brianpaulflynn
brianpaulflynn
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)

Michael Valentine Jones,

Does SQL Diagnostic Manager allow you to continue browsing data collected from a server you no longer monitor?

Does anyone know if other DB monitoring products that allow this?
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.