SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Type conversions and Nulls

Type conversions and Nulls

Author
EL Jerry
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Excellent question, Tom, and even better explanation.

"El" Jerry.

"A watt of Ottawa" - Gerardo Galvan

To better understand your help request, please follow these best practices.
Revenant
Revenant
SSChampion
SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)

Nice question - thanks, Tom!
Christian Buettner-167247
Christian Buettner-167247
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.3K reputation)

Thanks for the question!

Best Regards,

Chris Büttner
Orlando Colamatteo
Orlando Colamatteo
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)

Rob Schripsema (2/5/2013)
Great question, Tom

I almost wish you had thrown in an option of '2012-04-01 10:00:00.000' to spice up the thinking a bit more. Of course, then I probably would have gotten it wrong....

+1 to that

Nice question.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community. --Plato
sqlcentral-bugmenot
sqlcentral-bugmenot
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (44 reputation)SSC Rookie (44 reputation)SSC Rookie (44 reputation)SSC Rookie (44 reputation)SSC Rookie (44 reputation)SSC Rookie (44 reputation)SSC Rookie (44 reputation)SSC Rookie (44 reputation)

Wow, my first really wrong answer. I knew about CASE's type inferral, just forgot. Thanks for the exceptionally good question.
David Conn
David Conn
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)

I got caught by the Null. I work as a Programmer more often than not where some Languages automatically initialise a Variable at declaration time. The ones that don't tend to just leave the Variable with whatever is in its memory location. I would prefer Null as a default in these instances rather than garbage.
Orlando Colamatteo
Orlando Colamatteo
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)

David Conn (3/6/2013)
The ones that don't tend to just leave the Variable with whatever is in its memory location.

Yikes, not sure I know (or knew or remember) which might do that. To which were you referring?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community. --Plato
David Conn
David Conn
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)

C. This was my first encounter with uninitialised variables.

When I declare an Integer for example I expect its value to be 0.

At least in T-SQL we can now give a Value on the Declare statement.
Orlando Colamatteo
Orlando Colamatteo
SSC-Dedicated

David Conn (3/6/2013)
C. This was my first encounter with uninitialised variables.

Thanks. I am pretty sure that aspect of C "fell off my memory queue" a long time ago :-P

At least in T-SQL we can now give a Value on the Declare statement.

I like that too. We didn't have to worry about garbage in an uninitialized variable but that piece always seemed like one of the more obvious gaps in the language. Now that it is there the language feels that much more fluid and aligned with most of the other languages I work with, which is nice.

timothy bates
timothy bates
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (252 reputation)SSC Veteran (252 reputation)SSC Veteran (252 reputation)SSC Veteran (252 reputation)SSC Veteran (252 reputation)SSC Veteran (252 reputation)SSC Veteran (252 reputation)SSC Veteran (252 reputation)

I was considering the value of null. Apparently, I mistakenly thought (null = 0) would return false (not unknown) and then the not operator would change it to True thereby executing the then clause instead of else.

+1
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.