SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Avamar Transaction Log Backup Issue

Avamar Transaction Log Backup Issue

Author
Jysafe Lerroy
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (104 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (104 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (104 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (104 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (104 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (104 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (104 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (104 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi,

We just recently started using Avamar to backup everything including an hourly SQL server transaction log backup. The issue we’re having is that since we started using Avamar, the transaction file (LDF) file keeps growing very large. Has anyone experienced this issue before? If not, any idea?

Thanks,
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (150K reputation)SSC Guru (150K reputation)SSC Guru (150K reputation)SSC Guru (150K reputation)SSC Guru (150K reputation)SSC Guru (150K reputation)SSC Guru (150K reputation)SSC Guru (150K reputation)

Group: Administrators
I haven't used Avamar, but if the log file is growing, either you have a growing workload that needs more log space, or the log isn't being marked as backed up.

An hourly backup (diff/incremental) from Avamar, doesn't mean that it is performing a SQL Server log backup properly. It needs to be marked in msdb.

Have you checked MSDB to see if the log backups are being noted by SQL Server? If not, it's not doing them correctly.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
Jysafe Lerroy
Jysafe Lerroy
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (104 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (104 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (104 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (104 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (104 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (104 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (104 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (104 reputation)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (2/4/2013)
I haven't used Avamar, but if the log file is growing, either you have a growing workload that needs more log space, or the log isn't being marked as backed up.

An hourly backup (diff/incremental) from Avamar, doesn't mean that it is performing a SQL Server log backup properly. It needs to be marked in msdb.

Have you checked MSDB to see if the log backups are being noted by SQL Server? If not, it's not doing them correctly.

Thanks for getting back to me on this.

How do I check that in MSDB?
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (150K reputation)SSC Guru (150K reputation)SSC Guru (150K reputation)SSC Guru (150K reputation)SSC Guru (150K reputation)SSC Guru (150K reputation)SSC Guru (150K reputation)SSC Guru (150K reputation)

Look for backup history for any of the databases. The restore dialog might be the easiest if you haven't done it before.

See if you have options to restore transaction logs.

SQLRNNR
SQLRNNR
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (68K reputation)SSC Guru (68K reputation)SSC Guru (68K reputation)SSC Guru (68K reputation)SSC Guru (68K reputation)SSC Guru (68K reputation)SSC Guru (68K reputation)SSC Guru (68K reputation)

Jysafe Lerroy (2/4/2013)
Hi,

We just recently started using Avamar to backup everything including an hourly SQL server transaction log backup. The issue we’re having is that since we started using Avamar, the transaction file (LDF) file keeps growing very large. Has anyone experienced this issue before? If not, any idea?

Thanks,

We ran into this once a few years back and found that the Avamar backup was not backing up the t-log despite running. We went with native SQL Backup for t-logs and then backed up those files using Avamar.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw

Jysafe Lerroy
Jysafe Lerroy
SSC-Enthusiastic

Thank you both for getting back to me.

SQLRNNR, what version of Avamar are you running and have you contacted EMC with this issue? If so, what was their response.

Steve, I'm curious to know if there is a script that I can run against the MSDB table to check if the t-log is being backed up?
SQLRNNR
SQLRNNR
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (68K reputation)SSC Guru (68K reputation)SSC Guru (68K reputation)SSC Guru (68K reputation)SSC Guru (68K reputation)SSC Guru (68K reputation)SSC Guru (68K reputation)SSC Guru (68K reputation)

This was 2+ years ago. I don't recall the version. We did contact EMC and got nothing in return.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru

This should help:

SELECT T1.Name AS DatabaseName, 
Isnull(Max(T2.recovery_model), 'No Backup Taken') AS recovery_model,
'Log' AS BackupType,
Isnull(CONVERT(VARCHAR(23), CONVERT(DATETIME, Max(T2.backup_finish_date), 131)), '') AS LastBackUpTaken
FROM sys.sysdatabases T1
LEFT OUTER JOIN msdb.dbo.backupset T2
ON T2.database_name = T1.name
WHERE type = 'L'
GROUP BY T1.Name

You can also right click a database, select "restore | database" and in the lower pane of the dialog, you should see full and log backups (and diffs).

SQLRNNR
SQLRNNR
SSC Guru

Expanding on Steve's script a little, here is one that I did:

SELECT T1.Name AS DatabaseName
,ISNULL(t2.database_name, 'No Backup Taken') AS LogBackupAvail
,T1.recovery_model_desc
,'Log' AS BackupType
,ISNULL(CONVERT(VARCHAR(23), CONVERT(DATETIME, Max(T2.backup_finish_date), 131))
, CASE WHEN T1.recovery_model_desc = 'Simple'
THEN 'N/A'
ELSE 'Backup Not Taken'
END
) AS LastBackUpTaken
FROM sys.databases T1
LEFT OUTER JOIN msdb.dbo.backupset T2
ON t1.name = t2.database_name
AND t2.type = 'L'
GROUP BY T1.Name,T2.database_name,T1.recovery_model_desc

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru

SQLRNNR (2/5/2013)
Expanding on Steve's script a little, here is one that I did:

Show off

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.