Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Personal PC for VM spec question

Personal PC for VM spec question

Author
scott82020
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Good evening!
Let me start by saying that I'm not sure if I put this in the right section of the site, so my apologies if I got it wrong.

So at my job, I'm trying to position myself to be more of a DBA and less of a general Systems admin. I spoke with my boss about this and he approved, he gave me a lab at work to play with. Now, unfortunately, I don't have free reign over the lab, as it's all on the same Domain, etc., as our production environment.

I have no issue with this and I was actually thinking of building out a PC at home to use as a test server. I already have a TechNet subscription that will cover the licensing. I am just stumped on the hardware, as the last time that I built a PC was probably when the Athlon 64 was brand new, lol.

Can anyone provide me with suggestions? I do know that I am looking to get 24GB of ram on this box, as I will end up having at least 5 VM's that I know of powered on most of the time (1xAD, 2X Server 2008 r2 w/SQL 2008r2, 2x Server 2012 w/SQL 2012) running as well as my main OS install.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, I am not tied to a specific architecture.

Thanks for putting up with the long post, Thanks for feedback.
Jo Pattyn
Jo Pattyn
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)

Good question.
The web showed some motherboard that support 32 GB ram and there are 8 gb ram modules available; may 2012 article. Processor of preference I7.
Or perhaps a secondhand entry level server.
scott82020
scott82020
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)

Thanks so much for the link!
jasona.work
jasona.work
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)

If you don't mind build it yourself, I put one together a couple years ago based around a Xeon 5603 CPU. Used a Supermicro board, takes up to 24GB RAM (6x 4GB) Works fine for me, currently hosting (with only 12GB, bought another 12GB but haven't put it in yet):
1x Domain Controller
2x SQL2012 Servers (set up to play with Always On)

I had a couple others, but for now have them off.

Jason
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.