Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Baselines

Baselines

Author
Steve Jones
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Baselines

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
gsmith 7350
gsmith 7350
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (11 reputation)Grasshopper (11 reputation)Grasshopper (11 reputation)Grasshopper (11 reputation)Grasshopper (11 reputation)Grasshopper (11 reputation)Grasshopper (11 reputation)Grasshopper (11 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
We autochart KPI's on control charts to watch for trends, special causes, etc. . Most of these charts are X-bar with R-charts with control limits calculated to +- 3 sigma. We also keep track of causes for out of control points or system changes that cause a change in average. We then periodically pareto these for action plans for prevention. The charts also provide an excellent view of the common cause variation which we can develop action plans in attempts to reduce. - greg smith
richardmgreen1
richardmgreen1
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (790 reputation)Right there with Babe (790 reputation)Right there with Babe (790 reputation)Right there with Babe (790 reputation)Right there with Babe (790 reputation)Right there with Babe (790 reputation)Right there with Babe (790 reputation)Right there with Babe (790 reputation)

I've got a spreadsheet which reads a few tables I've set which tracks CPU usage (for now).
I haven't got it set to read disc I/O or anything else at the moment, but it gives me a rough idea of the cause of the slowdown.
It's shows the last 12 hours, by day/hour, by hour and by day.
It also tracks current running queries and any of those queries which don't conform to our best-practice documents.

It's a bit basic but it works for me.
Eric M Russell
Eric M Russell
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)

The first I look at are blocked processes, query wait times, and wait types, which can also be baselined just like CPU and I/O. Blocking and waiting are normal in a relational database, and when it extended beyond a certain point, it's perceived by users as "slowness".

"The universe is complicated and for the most part beyond your control, but your life is only as complicated as you choose it to be."
sturner
sturner
UDP Broadcaster
UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)

I am sampling key performance counters from all my primary production servers every 15 minutes and save 60 days worth of this history. We have other snapshot audits that will trigger on high thresholds of CPU or Blocking etc. Having the historical context provides the forensics to help resolve issues if and when they do happen.

The ones that we have seen so far have correlated to new versions of software put into production.

The probability of survival is inversely proportional to the angle of arrival.
Miles Neale
Miles Neale
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)

DBA monitors on an ongoing basis. We have metrics on what is normal for each production server and watch for spikes. It is a normal part of the job.

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!
Mark Stacey
Mark Stacey
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (44 reputation)SSC Rookie (44 reputation)SSC Rookie (44 reputation)SSC Rookie (44 reputation)SSC Rookie (44 reputation)SSC Rookie (44 reputation)SSC Rookie (44 reputation)SSC Rookie (44 reputation)

Averages can be misleading, you could have a server idling for 16 hours, and breaking for 8.

A better technique is to have buckets with how long the server is in that state.

A histogram for a day showing CPU at 0-20, 21 to 40, 40 to 60, 60 - 80, 80 to 100 with how long it spent there is one way of doing it
djackson 22568
djackson 22568
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (749 reputation)Right there with Babe (749 reputation)Right there with Babe (749 reputation)Right there with Babe (749 reputation)Right there with Babe (749 reputation)Right there with Babe (749 reputation)Right there with Babe (749 reputation)Right there with Babe (749 reputation)

I absolutely love the concept of the Stairways series. I don't use all of them for various reasons, lack of time being the biggest, but the fact that they are there for reference when I need assistance is simply outstanding. Thank you to everyone who contributes to these.

Dave
Andrew G
Andrew G
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)

I use an automated baseline / performance monitoring tool rather than manually baseline.
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Mark Stacey (2/1/2013)
Averages can be misleading, you could have a server idling for 16 hours, and breaking for 8.

A better technique is to have buckets with how long the server is in that state.

A histogram for a day showing CPU at 0-20, 21 to 40, 40 to 60, 60 - 80, 80 to 100 with how long it spent there is one way of doing it

That's interesting. Want to write this up for others?

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.