SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Oops! SQL column swap or SQL column clobber?

Oops! SQL column swap or SQL column clobber?

Author
sestell1
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Good question, as this seems to be very confusing for people with a programming background that start working with SQL.
mtassin
mtassin
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.4K reputation)

Good Question... thank you

--Mark Tassin
MCITP - SQL Server DBA
Proud member of the Anti-RBAR alliance.
For help with Performance click this link
For tips on how to post your problems
Miles Neale
Miles Neale
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)

Good question. Got it but had to replay the logic in the head a few times. Warmed me up for Friday morning. Thanks...

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!
jagpatel9
jagpatel9
Say Hey Kid
Say Hey Kid (676 reputation)Say Hey Kid (676 reputation)Say Hey Kid (676 reputation)Say Hey Kid (676 reputation)Say Hey Kid (676 reputation)Say Hey Kid (676 reputation)Say Hey Kid (676 reputation)Say Hey Kid (676 reputation)

Good question. In real world, I always use temp table to swap the columns. May be just not want to take risk of data mess.
john.arnott
john.arnott
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)

Gazareth (2/1/2013)
Raghavendra Mudugal (2/1/2013)
Dineshbabu (1/31/2013)
Actually I'm unable to understand the comments and answers properly. Problem is with the word "CLOBBER".....

Same here but after checking this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clobbering, it kind of eased the question to understand.

I've never seen this definition of Clobbering before - learn something new every day!
Luckily I know the behaviour of SQL in this scenario & got it right :-)

Funny thing, this English language of ours... I didn't realize till today that "clobber" was considered slang. Here we have it in its American usage. The basic meaning is to hit something very hard, or hit person so hard they're knocked out, as in "Muhammed Ali clobbered Joe Frazier." Thus the metaphorical meaning as used in this QOD of destroying the target datum.
udayroy15
udayroy15
Old Hand
Old Hand (354 reputation)Old Hand (354 reputation)Old Hand (354 reputation)Old Hand (354 reputation)Old Hand (354 reputation)Old Hand (354 reputation)Old Hand (354 reputation)Old Hand (354 reputation)

Nice one Smile
pchirags
pchirags
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)

Great Question..
Thanks..
Tom Thomson
Tom Thomson
SSCoach
SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)

Hugo Kornelis (2/1/2013)
That all being said - one other poster (I think it was Tom, but not sure anymore) found a smart way to extend Jeff's method to raise an error if the code would generate incorrect results. Again, buried somewhere in these forums. This is, of course, still firmly in undocumented and unguaranteed territory - but I looked very long and very hard at his trick, and I dare to say with 99.9999% certainty that his claim is reliable - code that employs Tom's trick will either populate correct results, or generate an error.

The original suggestion for error checks was Paul White's, but several people (including Paul himself, as well as both you and me) felt that it still left room for incorrect results without throwing an error. I suggested an improved check which would make the reliability of throwing an error when evaluation order was not as required to deliver correct results very close to 100%. To use a different order but not throw an error the data engine would have to do something quite bizarre, in fact I believe it would have to combine attributes from two different rows when doing a projection, which is of course forbidden by the semantics of projection. While of course T-SQL doesn't conform to the relational model's requirements for its relational calculus, I don't believe that it diverges so far from those requirements as to change the semantics of projections, so I believe the chance of getting incorrect results instead of an error is pretty much the same as the chance of finding an as yet unknown bug that makes some feature that is long established and formally documented in the language definition deliver incorrect results when confronted some unusual data, which might be as high as one in a million (as suggested by your 99.9999%). Cool

Tom

(Bob Brown)
(Bob Brown)
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (963 reputation)SSC Eights! (963 reputation)SSC Eights! (963 reputation)SSC Eights! (963 reputation)SSC Eights! (963 reputation)SSC Eights! (963 reputation)SSC Eights! (963 reputation)SSC Eights! (963 reputation)

The basic meaning is to hit something very hard, or hit person so hard they're knocked out, as in "Muhammed Ali clobbered Joe Frazier." Thus the metaphorical meaning as used in this QOD of destroying the target datum.

I think you got it wrong, as in "Joe Frazier clobbered Muhammed Ali."
SQLRNNR
SQLRNNR
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (41K reputation)SSC-Forever (41K reputation)SSC-Forever (41K reputation)SSC-Forever (41K reputation)SSC-Forever (41K reputation)SSC-Forever (41K reputation)SSC-Forever (41K reputation)SSC-Forever (41K reputation)

Koen Verbeeck (2/1/2013)
Easy one (thanks Itzik! :-)) to end the week. Thanks!

+1

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.