SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

The Knowledge Graph

The Knowledge Graph

Author
jasona.work
SSChampion
SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
bwillsie-842793 (1/30/2013)
Does Google, Twitter, Facebook, or any company ever discuss internally the consequences on society if their "latest, greatest, most wonderful" technology is taken to it's "logical extreme" by: (1) Criminals, (2) Psychopaths, (3) Ex-spouses, (4) Overzealous law enforcement, (5) Extremists of any ilk, (6) Governments that contain any or all of the prior?

In a discussion recently a co-worker mentioned the idea of someone on a subway with a pair of "intelligent glasses" linked to face recognition software that searched facebook and other sites for matches, then automatically sent a tweet out "I just saw (person XYZ) on the (specific subway line) between stations C and D."

Consider the "synergy" and consequences of the intersection of those two paragraphs...

Think I'll stay off Facebook another year... Smile

I can't think of the name of the book, although I think the author might be Charles Stross, in which just about EVERYONE wore "intelligent" glasses with cameras, constantly recording. Think of it as the equivalent of everyone walking around with their smartphones out, recording everything as they go about their day.

Not to say I like or approve of such an idea (hmm, maybe I'll look at buying a couple acres in the U.P. and go hermit if / when this becomes common,) but it's almost already here.

As for self-driving cars, frankly, I'd love such a thing, at least on the freeways. Going for a 4+ hour drive somewhere? Hop on the freeway, engage the "auto-drive," and pull out a laptop / book / take a nap. Also explored in SF (Minority Report, Red Thunder {novel by John Varley}, Demolition Man all come to mind)

Jason
kevin77
kevin77
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)

Can we build engines that can divine the context of what we are looking for?

Yes. Have you seen IBM's Watson? It kicked *** on Jeopardy.

Miles Neale
Miles Neale
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)

Searching? We are just starting to see it become interesting. What the industry has done to this point is to supply a card catalog of articles and the content of some. It has tapped into parts of what is digitized, and more is becoming digital each day.

Remember Google scanning books and making them available on line? Remember all the digital books for sale on Amazon now? And remember complex search algorithm, and then OLAP, now Big Data and more to come.

We have to remember to the creative genius the tools of today are but toys to be played with to understand and create further approaches and management of data.

In my professional lifetime I have seen what appeared to be impossible become everyday. There is more to come. Also remember in the movie Armageddon Oscar comments about space. To paraphrase him:

This is searching! Course, we're just in the beginning part of searching, we haven't even got to *really* searching yet!

M.

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (149K reputation)SSC Guru (149K reputation)SSC Guru (149K reputation)SSC Guru (149K reputation)SSC Guru (149K reputation)SSC Guru (149K reputation)SSC Guru (149K reputation)SSC Guru (149K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Jeff Weight (1/29/2013)
Ambitious project, definitely. I'm a bit skeptical that Google can determine what is fact and what isn't. I think the end result will net something like Wikipedia - never fully trusted.

I worry too, especially if they use algorithms to determine value.

However if they limited this to domains, it could be interesting.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
Scott Anderson #2
Scott Anderson #2
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (96 reputation)SSC Journeyman (96 reputation)SSC Journeyman (96 reputation)SSC Journeyman (96 reputation)SSC Journeyman (96 reputation)SSC Journeyman (96 reputation)SSC Journeyman (96 reputation)SSC Journeyman (96 reputation)

Knowledge Graph – interesting, another big data Graph database. This is my current interest and learning path as I can see Graph databases taking off more than NoSQL did.

As it sits on top of NoSQL and relational SQL, I wonder how many DBA’s are worried even more about changes to their job if it does so?
Miles Neale
Miles Neale
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)

Scott Anderson-466019 (1/30/2013)
... I wonder how many DBA’s are worried even more about changes to their job if it does so?

Probably more should be, but not because their work will go away. Rather the concern should be that their work could dramatically increase.

m.

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!
djackson 22568
djackson 22568
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)

bwillsie-842793 (1/30/2013)
Does Google, Twitter, Facebook, or any company ever discuss internally the consequences on society if their "latest, greatest, most wonderful" technology is taken to it's "logical extreme" by: (1) Criminals, (2) Psychopaths, (3) Ex-spouses, (4) Overzealous law enforcement, (5) Extremists of any ilk, (6) Governments that contain any or all of the prior?

Why did you include "contain any or all of the prior" when referencing Government. I think it is safe to say that every government entity on Earth since the beginning of time has had (1) Criminals, (2) Psychopaths, (3) Ex-spouses, (4) Overzealous law enforcement, (5) Extremists of any ilk and more unnamed types that are more than willing to set aside decency in an attempt to pad their own pockets.

As to your question, I think the answer may be somewhat complex, requiring the investigation of thousands of variables, investigation of human motivations, determinations as to scope, et cetera. Oh hell, who am I fooling. The answer is NO!

Dave
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (149K reputation)SSC Guru (149K reputation)SSC Guru (149K reputation)SSC Guru (149K reputation)SSC Guru (149K reputation)SSC Guru (149K reputation)SSC Guru (149K reputation)SSC Guru (149K reputation)

Group: Administrators
jasona.work (1/30/2013)

.... Red Thunder {novel by John Varley}

Red Thunder is one of my favorite books. It's the start of a trilogy, but the best one, IMHO.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.