SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

create synonym to schema

create synonym to schema

Author
erics44
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (514 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (514 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (514 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (514 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (514 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (514 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (514 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (514 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi
I have a dev database and a live database

both have linked servers to other databases in the dev environments and live environments

I would like to know if it is posible to create a synonym to a schema rather than an object

so In the dev database my synonym would be created something like

create sysnonym Server.TheSchema for [DevServer].[Databade].[TheSchema]

and in live

create sysnonym Server.TheSchema for [LiveServer].[Databade].[TheSchema]

This way I would only need to alter the information in my synonym rather than each time i reference a table.

I know the about doesnt work so i was hoping that there was a way.

Thanks
Lowell
Lowell
One Orange Chip
One Orange Chip (28K reputation)One Orange Chip (28K reputation)One Orange Chip (28K reputation)One Orange Chip (28K reputation)One Orange Chip (28K reputation)One Orange Chip (28K reputation)One Orange Chip (28K reputation)One Orange Chip (28K reputation)

nope a synonym must point to an object ( an object that would exist in a databases sys.objects view), and not part of the name of an object.

so by definitions, it is typically used for tables , views etc. very handy for aliasing four part objects, like CREATE SYNONYM myTable FOR OtherServer.Databasename.dbo.Tablename

Lowell

--
help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

anthony.green
anthony.green
SSChampion
SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)

Synonyms can be created for the following types of objects:

Assembly (CLR) Stored Procedure
Assembly (CLR) Table-valued Function
Assembly (CLR) Scalar Function
Assembly Aggregate (CLR) Aggregate Functions
Replication-filter-procedure
Extended Stored Procedure
SQL Scalar Function
SQL Table-valued Function
SQL Inline-table-valued Function
SQL Stored Procedure
View
Table (User defined) - Includes local and global temporary tables

Want an answer fast? Try here
How to post data/code for the best help - Jeff Moden
When a question, really isn't a question - Jeff Smith
Need a string splitter, try this - Jeff Moden
How to post performance problems - Gail Shaw
CrossTabs-Part1 & Part2 - Jeff Moden
SQL Server Backup, Integrity Check, and Index and Statistics Maintenance - Ola Hallengren
Managing Transaction Logs - Gail Shaw
Troubleshooting SQL Server: A Guide for the Accidental DBA - Jonathan Kehayias and Ted Krueger

erics44
erics44
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (514 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (514 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (514 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (514 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (514 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (514 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (514 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (514 reputation)

thanks a lot for the replies guys
ScottPletcher
ScottPletcher
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)

Nope, you have to synonym every object:

[LiveServer].[Databade].[TheSchema].[ObjectName1] --> [DevServer].[Databade].[TheSchema].[ObjectName1]

[LiveServer].[Databade].[TheSchema].[ObjectName2] --> [DevServer].[Databade].[TheSchema].[ObjectName2]

etc.

SQL DBA,SQL Server MVP(07, 08, 09)[size=2]Prosecutor James Blackburn, in closing argument in the Fatal Vision murders trial: If in the future, you should cry a tear, cry one for them [the murder victims]. If in the future, you should say a prayer, say one for them. And if in the future, you should light a candle, light one for them.[/size]
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.