SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Connect to a remote sql server using stunnel

Connect to a remote sql server using stunnel

Author
papa_sarr
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (94 reputation)SSC Journeyman (94 reputation)SSC Journeyman (94 reputation)SSC Journeyman (94 reputation)SSC Journeyman (94 reputation)SSC Journeyman (94 reputation)SSC Journeyman (94 reputation)SSC Journeyman (94 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hello everyone,

I am trying to connect to a remote sql server using stunnel. I have already configure the stunnel.conf file on both side.
When I am connect to the remote SQL Server, I am getting the following error:
"A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the login process. (provider: TCP Provider, error: 0 - An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.)"
My remote server is configured to accept unlimited connections.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Thank you
DBA From The Cold
DBA From The Cold
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)

I'm not too familiar with stunnel but you could check your logins on the instance. Does the specified login have the required permissions?

Andrew
papa_sarr
papa_sarr
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (94 reputation)SSC Journeyman (94 reputation)SSC Journeyman (94 reputation)SSC Journeyman (94 reputation)SSC Journeyman (94 reputation)SSC Journeyman (94 reputation)SSC Journeyman (94 reputation)SSC Journeyman (94 reputation)

Thank you for your reply

The login has the proper permission.
I forgot to mention that I was able to connect to the remote SQL server from within our network.
From outside the network, I am getting the error. I can telnet to the SQL server.
Also the network administrator is telling me that there is no firewall blocking incoming traffic to the specified port.
DBA From The Cold
DBA From The Cold
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)

Are you using a SQL Server authenticated account to login?
papa_sarr
papa_sarr
SSC Journeyman

Yes I am
DBA From The Cold
DBA From The Cold
Hall of Fame

OK, as you can connect to the instance within the network the problem is not there.

Have you tried specifying the port in the connection to the instance?
papa_sarr
papa_sarr
SSC Journeyman

Yes I have tried,

Basically, Stunnel allows you to encrypt the TCP connection between the client and the SQL server using SSL. On both side, you install stunnel and configure it.

Client side

Accept connection on 127.0.0.1:1433
Connect to x.x.x.x:443 (x.x.x.x being the external ip address of the SQL server, and 443 being the only open port to the SQL Server)

Server Side
Accept all incoming connection on 443
connect to 127.0.0.1:1433

From the client side, you open SSMS and connect to 127.0.0.1, and stunnel redirect the traffic to 127.0.0.1:1433 on the SQL Server
DBA From The Cold
DBA From The Cold
Hall of Fame

If you can connect to the instance from the client side with SSMS then the problem must be with stunnel.

Sorry I'm not familiar with stunnel.
papa_sarr
papa_sarr
SSC Journeyman

When both machines belong to the same network (replacing the x.x.x.x with the internal IP address of the SQL server), I have no problem connecting to the SQL server through Stunnel. However, when the client is outside our network, I am getting the error.

Anyway, thank you for your help.
DBA From The Cold
DBA From The Cold
Hall of Fame

Same error when connecting in SSMS?
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.