SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

things to know when designing a new database

things to know when designing a new database

Author
DBA24
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (26 reputation)SSC Rookie (26 reputation)SSC Rookie (26 reputation)SSC Rookie (26 reputation)SSC Rookie (26 reputation)SSC Rookie (26 reputation)SSC Rookie (26 reputation)SSC Rookie (26 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
what are things one need to always keep in mind when designing a new database for an application
GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (216K reputation)SSC Guru (216K reputation)SSC Guru (216K reputation)SSC Guru (216K reputation)SSC Guru (216K reputation)SSC Guru (216K reputation)SSC Guru (216K reputation)SSC Guru (216K reputation)

Maybe start with this:
http://www.amazon.com/Server-Relational-Database-Implementation-Experts/dp/143020866X/

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

ScottPletcher
ScottPletcher
SSCoach
SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)

What you really need is someone that has experience doing it, period. This is not something that you can just "wing it".

If you have to do it with no experience, just expect up front that you'll have to re-do things, sometimes the same thing multiple times.

The next most important thing is to separate the logical and physical design phases -- do NOT allow anyone to skip the logical phase and immediately start designing "tables" or "indexes".

SQL DBA,SQL Server MVP(07, 08, 09) Prosecutor James Blackburn, in closing argument in the Fatal Vision murders trial:
If in the future, you should cry a tear, cry one for them [the murder victims]. If in the future, you should say a prayer, say one for them. And if in the future, you should light a candle, light one for them.
DiverKas
DiverKas
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (563 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (563 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (563 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (563 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (563 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (563 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (563 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (563 reputation)

1) Do NOT let your C#/VB/ASP/Pascal guys design the database.
2) Do NOT let your DBA's design the database.
3) Hire a Data Architect.

Just saying. The first 2 groups have very biased views of how data should be structured for VERY different reasons, neither of which usually solves the entire problem.
ScottPletcher
ScottPletcher
SSCoach
SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)

DiverKas (1/22/2013)

Just saying. The first 2 groups have very biased views of how data should be structured for VERY different reasons, neither of which usually solves the entire problem.

#2 is NOT necessarily true -- it depends on the DBA. I have long-term experience in all phases of the design process.

Also, if you hire someone who's solely a Data Architect, then you have to hire an additional person to convert the logical model into a physical model.

SQL DBA,SQL Server MVP(07, 08, 09) Prosecutor James Blackburn, in closing argument in the Fatal Vision murders trial:
If in the future, you should cry a tear, cry one for them [the murder victims]. If in the future, you should say a prayer, say one for them. And if in the future, you should light a candle, light one for them.
prathibha_aviator
prathibha_aviator
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (226 reputation)SSC Veteran (226 reputation)SSC Veteran (226 reputation)SSC Veteran (226 reputation)SSC Veteran (226 reputation)SSC Veteran (226 reputation)SSC Veteran (226 reputation)SSC Veteran (226 reputation)

I believe u should also have thorough understanding on relationships and length, size of the variables. They cost u a lot when it comes to the performance.

--Pra:-):-)--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sean Lange
Sean Lange
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (60K reputation)SSC Guru (60K reputation)SSC Guru (60K reputation)SSC Guru (60K reputation)SSC Guru (60K reputation)SSC Guru (60K reputation)SSC Guru (60K reputation)SSC Guru (60K reputation)

ScottPletcher (1/22/2013)
DiverKas (1/22/2013)

#2 is NOT necessarily true -- it depends on the DBA. I have long-term experience in all phases of the design process.

Also, if you hire someone who's solely a Data Architect, then you have to hire an additional person to convert the logical model into a physical model.

Neither is #1. There is no rule that says a developer is unable to design a proper database because they are a developer.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns
Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1)
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2)
GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (216K reputation)SSC Guru (216K reputation)SSC Guru (216K reputation)SSC Guru (216K reputation)SSC Guru (216K reputation)SSC Guru (216K reputation)SSC Guru (216K reputation)SSC Guru (216K reputation)

Sean Lange (1/22/2013)
DiverKas (1/22/2013)

Neither is #1. There is no rule that says a developer is unable to design a proper database because they are a developer.

I'm a developer (SQL mostly, not front end). I'd argue that I can design at least a passably good database.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Sean Lange
Sean Lange
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (60K reputation)SSC Guru (60K reputation)SSC Guru (60K reputation)SSC Guru (60K reputation)SSC Guru (60K reputation)SSC Guru (60K reputation)SSC Guru (60K reputation)SSC Guru (60K reputation)

GilaMonster (1/22/2013)
Sean Lange (1/22/2013)
DiverKas (1/22/2013)

I'm a developer (SQL mostly, not front end). I'd argue that I can design at least a passably good database.

Gail we are saying the same thing. I think anytime someone starts segregating abilities based on job title they are destined to get snowballed. I too am a developer and would like to think I could cobble something usable together.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns
Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1)
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2)
ScottPletcher
ScottPletcher
SSCoach

Sean Lange (1/22/2013)
GilaMonster (1/22/2013)
Sean Lange (1/22/2013)
DiverKas (1/22/2013)

Gail we are saying the same thing. I think anytime someone starts segregating abilities based on job title they are destined to get snowballed. I too am a developer and would like to think I could cobble something usable together.

Perhaps. But I would not want someone who had not been a full-time database designer or DBA at some point to head a db design. Based on my past experiences, (almost) pure developers can't seem to forget physical details long enough to do a proper logical design. Any who could do it properly would be the rare exceptions, not the normal rule.

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.