SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Calling SSIS Package in a trigger

Calling SSIS Package in a trigger

Author
mpradeep23
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (166 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (166 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (166 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (166 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (166 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (166 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (166 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (166 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi

i trying call SSIS Package from a Trigger is there any perforamnce issue to the database
thanks in advance

with best regards
pradeep
Phil Parkin
Phil Parkin
SSCoach
SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)

mpradeep23 (1/10/2013)
Hi

i trying call SSIS Package from a Trigger is there any perforamnce issue to the database
thanks in advance

with best regards
pradeep

Based on the limited information provided, my best answer is 'probably' and my advice would be to look for an alternative solution to whatever requirement you have been given.

Help us to help you. For better, quicker and more-focused answers to your questions, consider following the advice in this link.

If the answer to your question can be found with a brief Google search, please perform the search yourself, rather than expecting one of the SSC members to do it for you.

Please surround any code or links you post with the appropriate IFCode formatting tags. It helps readability a lot.
mpradeep23
mpradeep23
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (166 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (166 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (166 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (166 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (166 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (166 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (166 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (166 reputation)

i have two tables in two sql servers i need two move data from one table to other on insert /update i had written a ssis package for this so when thier is update in one table then i need update it in to other table so for that can i call SSIS Package in Trigger so that will copy the data from source to destination

thanks
pradeep
Phil Parkin
Phil Parkin
SSCoach
SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)

mpradeep23 (1/10/2013)
i have two tables in two sql servers i need two move data from one table to other on insert /update i had written a ssis package for this so when thier is update in one table then i need update it in to other table so for that can i call SSIS Package in Trigger so that will copy the data from source to destination

thanks
pradeep

Imagine a process on server 1 which has been written by a C# guy who knows nothing about set-based programming. He is inserting 10,000 rows one at a time in a loop in his program. Do you really want a trigger to execute an SSIS package 10,000 times in just a few seconds?

Far better to run the package every few minutes & pick up any changes then. Or use CDC if you have a high enough version of SQL Server.

Help us to help you. For better, quicker and more-focused answers to your questions, consider following the advice in this link.

If the answer to your question can be found with a brief Google search, please perform the search yourself, rather than expecting one of the SSC members to do it for you.

Please surround any code or links you post with the appropriate IFCode formatting tags. It helps readability a lot.
mpradeep23
mpradeep23
SSC-Enthusiastic

CDC works if tables are in different instances of sql sever?

thank s

pradeep
anthony.green
anthony.green
SSChampion
SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)

What about setting up replication for the table(s) in question?

Want an answer fast? Try here
How to post data/code for the best help - Jeff Moden
When a question, really isn't a question - Jeff Smith
Need a string splitter, try this - Jeff Moden
How to post performance problems - Gail Shaw
CrossTabs-Part1 & Part2 - Jeff Moden
SQL Server Backup, Integrity Check, and Index and Statistics Maintenance - Ola Hallengren
Managing Transaction Logs - Gail Shaw
Troubleshooting SQL Server: A Guide for the Accidental DBA - Jonathan Kehayias and Ted Krueger

Orlando Colamatteo
Orlando Colamatteo
SSChampion
SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)

mpradeep23 (1/10/2013)
CDC works if tables are in different instances of sql sever?

thank s

pradeep

Sure, CDC is an option but if you do not need a record of all historical data changes then it is likely overkill and still will not deliver real-time data to the downstream system. With CDC changes are queued on the source system. You'll still need a process to take those changes and push them to a downstream system which is likely going to best implemented as an SSIS package.

Most types of SQL Server Replication require no development, only configuration. Have you looked into? I think you would be interested in Transactional Replication with a Push Subscription from your upstream system to your downstream system which requires no development and delivers as close to real-time data on the subscriber as possible.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community. --Plato
Bruce W Cassidy
Bruce W Cassidy
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)

If all you are doing is copying the data from one instance to another, then I would agree that replication is probably a far better solution. It sounds to me as if you are trying to develop something that is already built in. :-D
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.