SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Need help using the most efficient aggregation method in SQL Server 2008 R2 to sum up child rows in...

Need help using the most efficient aggregation method in SQL Server 2008 R2 to sum up child rows in same table

Author
J Livingston SQL
SSChampion
SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
steve.pantazis (1/7/2013)
........ Long story short, we need to rewrite our aggregation routines, and it looks like you're pointing us in the right direction.

Steve

I would entirely agree with your comment and suggest you read and reread the article in question.

I am sure that you will be able to increase performance.

regards

ps....whilst the solution I provided may work...I wouldnt be looking to implement in production :-)...was only suggested to get the discussion going some more...both to help you and to assist my own learning.

steve.pantazis
steve.pantazis
Valued Member
Valued Member (64 reputation)Valued Member (64 reputation)Valued Member (64 reputation)Valued Member (64 reputation)Valued Member (64 reputation)Valued Member (64 reputation)Valued Member (64 reputation)Valued Member (64 reputation)

Yes, agreed. I have a steep learning curve ahead of me, but it's necessary. Thanks again for your contribution.
J Livingston SQL
J Livingston SQL
SSChampion
SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)

steve.pantazis (1/7/2013)
Yes, agreed. I have a steep learning curve ahead of me, but it's necessary. Thanks again for your contribution.

Steve

may be worth your while posting some "base data examples" here on the forum and see what the collective mindset comes back with......you never know :-)

steve.pantazis
steve.pantazis
Valued Member
Valued Member (64 reputation)Valued Member (64 reputation)Valued Member (64 reputation)Valued Member (64 reputation)Valued Member (64 reputation)Valued Member (64 reputation)Valued Member (64 reputation)Valued Member (64 reputation)

That sounds good. What I will do is work on the aggregation queries and then post my solution using a sample dataset. Then the community can analyze the solution and either use the methodology to help them, or offer a more optimized method.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.