SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

T-SQL

T-SQL

Author
pchirags
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item T-SQL
SQLRNNR
SQLRNNR
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (111K reputation)SSC Guru (111K reputation)SSC Guru (111K reputation)SSC Guru (111K reputation)SSC Guru (111K reputation)SSC Guru (111K reputation)SSC Guru (111K reputation)SSC Guru (111K reputation)

I have to disagree with the correct answer(s). The question asks for 4 correct answers yet 5 are presented. This causes a bit of a guessing game.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw

demonfox
demonfox
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)

SQLRNNR (1/3/2013)
I have to disagree with the correct answer(s). The question asks for 4 correct answers yet 5 are presented. This causes a bit of a guessing game.

I didn't read the last one ; when marked 4th one , I should read complete question and answers ;-)..
yes the last one is correct, Unique key does allow one null.

"The Unique key allows NULL values as a value"

is an answer too..

~ demonfox
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)

Since last option said Unique key allows NULL values.. he didn't mention xactly one NULL value in the option . so I choosed other 4 and got it correct..

--
Dineshbabu

--
Dineshbabu
Desire to learn new things..
SQLRNNR
SQLRNNR
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (111K reputation)SSC Guru (111K reputation)SSC Guru (111K reputation)SSC Guru (111K reputation)SSC Guru (111K reputation)SSC Guru (111K reputation)SSC Guru (111K reputation)SSC Guru (111K reputation)

dineshbabus (1/3/2013)
Since last option said Unique key allows NULL values.. he didn't mention xactly one NULL value in the option . so I choosed other 4 and got it correct..

--
Dineshbabu

That is true, but a Unique constraint can allow more than one null value.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Dineshbabu
Dineshbabu
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)

oh.. unique constraint can allow more than one null value.. I don't think so.. Please give me some xample...

--
Dineshbabu
Kingston Dhasian
Kingston Dhasian
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (9.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.1K reputation)

dineshbabus (1/3/2013)
oh.. unique constraint can allow more than one null value.. I don't think so.. Please give me some xample...

In SQL Server 2008, there is a concept of filtered indexes.
You can combine this concept with Unique Constraint to create a unique constraint which allows more than one NULL value.

Kingston Dhasian

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help - Jeff Moden
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/
Dineshbabu
Dineshbabu
SSCommitted

I think few days back same conversation happened... Unique constraint is different from unique index. While creating unique index we can create with filter and that will allow more than one NULL value but not with unique constraint.

--
Dineshbabu

--
Dineshbabu
SQLRNNR
SQLRNNR
SSC Guru

dineshbabus (1/3/2013)
I think few days back same conversation happened... Unique constraint is different from unique index. While creating unique index we can create with filter and that will allow more than one NULL value but not with unique constraint.

--
Dineshbabu

Go back to that QOTD thread and read my response showing that multiple null values is possible in a unique constraint.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

SQLRNNR
SQLRNNR
SSC Guru

dineshbabus (1/3/2013)

Here is the example

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost1398825.aspx

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.