SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

SET Options - 1

SET Options - 1

Author
pchirags
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Great Question...
many thanks
SanDroid
SanDroid
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)

Good question Ron.
Clear answer and the SQL statements did not distract from the truth you where creating.
Cool
Dana Medley
Dana Medley
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)

Thanks for the great question Ron. I was unaware of this limitation and have definitely learned something today. :-)

Everything is awesome!
jcrawf02
jcrawf02
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)

I've been looking for Steve Moden's phone number, thanks....

---------------------------------------------------------
How best to post your question
How to post performance problems
Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."
Hugo Kornelis
Hugo Kornelis
SSCoach
SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)

Rich Weissler (12/14/2012)
Great question.
But, okay... I give up, how does having an indexed view cause a loss of precision?

(I.e. Yep, I see the error. I don't understand WHY. :-( )

It doesn't. But there are specific settings required for making and maintaining indexed views, and this happens to be one of them.

If you change the setting before trying to create the view, that in itself would already fail. (Or, to be more precise, creating the view would succeed, but creating the index to convert it from a normal into an indexed view would fail).

The reason for this limitation? (Puts on speculative hat) Many settings are discouraged anyway, and I guess that MS decided not to put in extra engineering effort to support and test indexed views (and several other features with similar limitations) under all those settings. So they simply forbid them.

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server MVP
Visit my SQL Server blog: http://sqlblog.com/blogs/hugo_kornelis
Rich Weissler
Rich Weissler
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)

Thank you Hugo.

(At least it wasn't something obvious I just wasn't seeing.)
Lon-860191
Lon-860191
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)

Good question, learned something today. Didn't think a numeric related setting would effect an action relating to textual information, oh well.
Thanks,
Lon
SQLRNNR
SQLRNNR
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (65K reputation)SSC Guru (65K reputation)SSC Guru (65K reputation)SSC Guru (65K reputation)SSC Guru (65K reputation)SSC Guru (65K reputation)SSC Guru (65K reputation)SSC Guru (65K reputation)

Thanks Ron. Very informative today.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw

Rob Schripsema
Rob Schripsema
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)

Great question. Got a little education today. Thanks.

Rob Schripsema
Propack, Inc.
mtassin
mtassin
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)

Koen Verbeeck (12/14/2012)
Great question to end the week. Had to do some research, but it was worth it.

I agree... the research as to the various set options was worth the time.

--Mark Tassin
MCITP - SQL Server DBA
Proud member of the Anti-RBAR alliance.
For help with Performance click this link
For tips on how to post your problems
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.