SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Find SQL Statements Consuming tempdb Space

Find SQL Statements Consuming tempdb Space

Author
rahulgsingh
Old Hand
Old Hand (302 reputation)Old Hand (302 reputation)Old Hand (302 reputation)Old Hand (302 reputation)Old Hand (302 reputation)Old Hand (302 reputation)Old Hand (302 reputation)Old Hand (302 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Find SQL Statements Consuming tempdb Space
The Wizard Of Oz
The Wizard Of Oz
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (585 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (585 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (585 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (585 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (585 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (585 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (585 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (585 reputation)

Luckily, I'm getting a bunch of zero counts with this script.
Might be nicer to filter out queries that don't have any pages allocated/deallocated?

SELECT
er.session_id,
er.request_id,
er.sql_handle,
er.statement_start_offset,
er.statement_end_offset,
er.plan_handle,
counts.task_alloc,
counts.task_dealloc
FROM sys.dm_exec_requests AS er
INNER JOIN
(SELECT
session_id,
request_id,
SUM(internal_objects_alloc_page_count) AS task_alloc,
SUM(internal_objects_dealloc_page_count) AS task_dealloc
FROM sys.dm_db_task_space_usage
WHERE internal_objects_alloc_page_count<>0
OR internal_objects_dealloc_page_count<>0
GROUP BY session_id, request_id
) AS counts
ON counts.session_id = er.session_id AND counts.request_id = er.request_id
ORDER BY counts.task_alloc DESC

tomas.nelson
tomas.nelson
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (193 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (193 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (193 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (193 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (193 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (193 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (193 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (193 reputation)

I recently had a number of problems with tempdb (it suddenly filled full), before we can use the BACKUP LOG with truncate ONLY, but in SQL Server 2008 this no longer works, is there a way to force to clean the tempdb????
The Learner
The Learner
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (99 reputation)SSC Journeyman (99 reputation)SSC Journeyman (99 reputation)SSC Journeyman (99 reputation)SSC Journeyman (99 reputation)SSC Journeyman (99 reputation)SSC Journeyman (99 reputation)SSC Journeyman (99 reputation)

This seems like it would be really great, but I don't understand the results. I am having frequent problems with TempDB growing out of control, consuming an entire 200GB drive, even though the source db of the majority of queries on the server is < 100GB. Can you provide a brief explanation?

-- RTW
Be curious!
The Wizard Of Oz
The Wizard Of Oz
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (585 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (585 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (585 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (585 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (585 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (585 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (585 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (585 reputation)

It might be that your stored procedures aren't cleaning up the temp tables they use properly.

It's a good idea to use

IF object_id('tempdb..#yourTempTableName') IS NOT NULL DROP TABLE #yourTempTableName

at the beginning and end of any procedures/DTS/jobs that use temp tables.

Check this article (or search Google) for more info: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6623846/why-are-temporary-tables-not-removed-from-tempdb-in-sql-server
The Learner
The Learner
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (99 reputation)SSC Journeyman (99 reputation)SSC Journeyman (99 reputation)SSC Journeyman (99 reputation)SSC Journeyman (99 reputation)SSC Journeyman (99 reputation)SSC Journeyman (99 reputation)SSC Journeyman (99 reputation)

Of course - makes total sense! Thanks for the tip.

-- RTW
Be curious!
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (454K reputation)SSC Guru (454K reputation)SSC Guru (454K reputation)SSC Guru (454K reputation)SSC Guru (454K reputation)SSC Guru (454K reputation)SSC Guru (454K reputation)SSC Guru (454K reputation)

The Learner (12/13/2012)
Of course - makes total sense! Thanks for the tip.

I know it's an old post but you don't usually need to drop Temp Tables in a stored procedure. They usually clean themselves up.

If your Temp DB is consuming a 200GB drive, you have a larger problem with some seriously bad code. Look for code with DISTINCT in it which is a "cover" for bad code that has accidental Cross Joins in them. Some call thes "Many-to-Many" joins and they're usually the result of a poorly designed database or someone writing criteria for code without a full understanding of what the data actually contains.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
The Wizard Of Oz
The Wizard Of Oz
Mr or Mrs. 500

Ah yes, good point Jeff!

I've seen plenty of DISTINCT code that had some dodgy JOINs, or bad assumptions about the underlying data relationships.

I was only hazarding a guess with the "delete your temp tables after processing"...

(as a side note, your articles are amazing! Keep up the writing and the propagation of set-based thinking! :-D )
The Learner
The Learner
SSC Journeyman

Thanks for the follow-up. Having analysts drop temp tables at the end of their stored procedures did seem to help, but I would still see sporadic out of control growth. I just reviewed some of the more often run stored procedures and several of them do have Distinct statements, which I will have the analysts review. Thanks again for the input.

-- RTW
Be curious!
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (454K reputation)SSC Guru (454K reputation)SSC Guru (454K reputation)SSC Guru (454K reputation)SSC Guru (454K reputation)SSC Guru (454K reputation)SSC Guru (454K reputation)SSC Guru (454K reputation)

The Learner (4/15/2013)
Thanks for the follow-up. Having analysts drop temp tables at the end of their stored procedures did seem to help, but I would still see sporadic out of control growth. I just reviewed some of the more often run stored procedures and several of them do have Distinct statements, which I will have the analysts review. Thanks again for the input.

The problem with dropping Temp Tables at the end is if the proc is executed in the near future while their plan is still cached, the code could actually run a bit slower. SQL Server keeps the "skeleton" of the Temp Tables in some form of cache unless you do an explicit drop.

Shifting gears, the sproadic out of control growth you speak of might be easy to find. Using a server side profiler run, set it up to look for anything that has more than, say, 10 million reads for both RPC and Batch events. It may take a while to rear its ugly head but the bugger will show up.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.