SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Filter rows based on two columns

Filter rows based on two columns

Author
cidr
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (90 reputation)SSC Journeyman (90 reputation)SSC Journeyman (90 reputation)SSC Journeyman (90 reputation)SSC Journeyman (90 reputation)SSC Journeyman (90 reputation)SSC Journeyman (90 reputation)SSC Journeyman (90 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi there,

Apologies for the elusive subject title. I'm trying to filter only rows on one field only when another field has a certain value.

I have a query with several columns. One column (called NAME) has only two values so to keep this simple for the question the values are

Paul
Jim

This column will only ever have these two values for all the rows.

I have another column (called POSITION) that only ever has three values

Staff
Manager
Executive

I want to filter rows on another column that only applies to Paul.

For example

Where NAME is = to PAUL only include rows from POSITION where they are MANAGER.

If the NAME is Jim, the filter will not apply to POSITION.

I'm unsure how to achieve this filter without affecting rows where the NAME is Jim.

I hope this makes sense.

What would be the easiest way to do this on the WHERE clause?

Many thanks
Phil Parkin
Phil Parkin
SSCoach
SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)

cidr (12/11/2012)
Hi there,

Apologies for the elusive subject title. I'm trying to filter only rows on one field only when another field has a certain value.

I have a query with several columns. One column (called NAME) has only two values so to keep this simple for the question the values are

Paul
Jim

This column will only ever have these two values for all the rows.

I have another column (called POSITION) that only ever has three values

Staff
Manager
Executive

I want to filter rows on another column that only applies to Paul.

For example

Where NAME is = to PAUL only include rows from POSITION where they are MANAGER.

If the NAME is Jim, the filter will not apply to POSITION.

I'm unsure how to achieve this filter without affecting rows where the NAME is Jim.

I hope this makes sense.

What would be the easiest way to do this on the WHERE clause?

Many thanks

WHERE (NAME = 'Paul' and POSITION = 'MANAGER')  or NAME = 'Jim'

Help us to help you. For better, quicker and more-focused answers to your questions, consider following the advice in this link.

If the answer to your question can be found with a brief Google search, please perform the search yourself, rather than expecting one of the SSC members to do it for you.

Please surround any code or links you post with the appropriate IFCode formatting tags. It helps readability a lot.
nigelrivett
nigelrivett
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (486 reputation)SSC-Addicted (486 reputation)SSC-Addicted (486 reputation)SSC-Addicted (486 reputation)SSC-Addicted (486 reputation)SSC-Addicted (486 reputation)SSC-Addicted (486 reputation)SSC-Addicted (486 reputation)

where (name = 'Paul' and position = 'manager')
or name = 'Jim'

Cursors never.
DTS - only when needed and never to control.

Phil Parkin
Phil Parkin
SSCoach
SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)

nigelrivett (12/11/2012)
where (name = 'Paul' and position = 'manager')
or name = 'Jim'

?? looks remarkably like a lowercase version of my solution :-)

Help us to help you. For better, quicker and more-focused answers to your questions, consider following the advice in this link.

If the answer to your question can be found with a brief Google search, please perform the search yourself, rather than expecting one of the SSC members to do it for you.

Please surround any code or links you post with the appropriate IFCode formatting tags. It helps readability a lot.
nigelrivett
nigelrivett
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (486 reputation)SSC-Addicted (486 reputation)SSC-Addicted (486 reputation)SSC-Addicted (486 reputation)SSC-Addicted (486 reputation)SSC-Addicted (486 reputation)SSC-Addicted (486 reputation)SSC-Addicted (486 reputation)

Yep - odd. Yours wasn't visible when I typed mine in but from the post dates they are 20 mins apart.

No they are 1 min apart - sorry I didn't predict that you were going to post that while I was typing.

Cursors never.
DTS - only when needed and never to control.

cidr
cidr
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (90 reputation)SSC Journeyman (90 reputation)SSC Journeyman (90 reputation)SSC Journeyman (90 reputation)SSC Journeyman (90 reputation)SSC Journeyman (90 reputation)SSC Journeyman (90 reputation)SSC Journeyman (90 reputation)

Thanks guys, I tried this previously but it wasn't working for me because the actual solution uses the IN statement for NAME as there's three values to be pulled through. I removed IN and used '=' for each value in the WHERE clause, works now.

Thanks
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.