SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Query to variable - not wanting table style result

Query to variable - not wanting table style result

Author
Drenlin
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (251 reputation)SSC Veteran (251 reputation)SSC Veteran (251 reputation)SSC Veteran (251 reputation)SSC Veteran (251 reputation)SSC Veteran (251 reputation)SSC Veteran (251 reputation)SSC Veteran (251 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi

I am trying to run a script that queries the last full backup file for a specific database. Invoke line formated for ease of reading.

# Script is ran on the SQL server (not remotely)
# Instance is called sql-instance
# database is called sql-data

import-module SQLPS -disableNameChecking
$instanceName = "$($env:computername)\sql-instance"
$server = New-Object -TypeName Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.Server -ArgumentList $instanceName
$lastBackupFile = Invoke-Sqlcmd -Query "
SELECT TOP 1 msdb.dbo.backupmediafamily.physical_device_name
FROM msdb.dbo.backupmediafamily
INNER JOIN msdb.dbo.backupset ON msdb.dbo.backupmediafamily.media_set_id = msdb.dbo.backupset.media_set_id
WHERE msdb..backupset.type = 'D' and msdb.dbo.backupset.database_name = 'sql-data'
ORDER BY msdb.dbo.backupset.backup_finish_date desc"

The result I get with this is in a table format:
physical_device_name
--------------------
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL11.SIMS2012\MSQL\Backup\full_sql-data_20121101.bak

Is there any way to just get the result and not the heading stuff?
I need just the path and filename for using elsewhere in the script.

I tried searching around but only found articles that give the table format and I don't know enouth to trim this down with confidence.

Thanks in advance
Gazareth
Gazareth
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4K reputation)

If it's one result, you can get it like this:
$lastBackupFile.physical_device_name

This can be used in other methods, e.g.:

($lastBackupFile.physical_device_name).SubString(0, 30)

If it's multiple rows you can do something similar but include the row number:
$lastBackupFile[0].physical_device_name
Drenlin
Drenlin
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (251 reputation)SSC Veteran (251 reputation)SSC Veteran (251 reputation)SSC Veteran (251 reputation)SSC Veteran (251 reputation)SSC Veteran (251 reputation)SSC Veteran (251 reputation)SSC Veteran (251 reputation)

Many thanks for that.

It must seem like common sense to you but I didn't realize that queries would actually return results with members that can be seperated. This opens up a world of possibility and extra knowledge for me.

Query resolved.
Gazareth
Gazareth
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4K reputation)

No problem.
Still getting to grips with Powershell and very little of it is common sense so far :-)

The hardest bit has been linking all the individual steps together - once you start seeing how you can pass info from one step to the next it really does become an amazing tool!

Cheers
Gaz
JackG
JackG
Valued Member
Valued Member (51 reputation)Valued Member (51 reputation)Valued Member (51 reputation)Valued Member (51 reputation)Valued Member (51 reputation)Valued Member (51 reputation)Valued Member (51 reputation)Valued Member (51 reputation)

This is the closest I've come to finding a topic on what I'm trying to do. I'm setting a PS variable equal to the results from a query that returns two values per row and there will be multiple rows returned. Here is the PS code:

$SQL = "SELECT DBName, SFTPFolder FROM db.Export.ExportDBs"
$Database = SQLCMD -S "server" -U "User" -P "password" -Q $sql

Using the information above I figured out that $Database[2] would give me my first result row since 0 and 1 were the headers for the result set. I'm trying to use the results in a FOREACH. I'd like to put the DBName in one variable and the SFTPFolder in a different variable within the FOREACH. I tried $Database[2].DBName but it doesn't return the dbname, at least when I'm playing with it from the PS command line. So I'm a bit at a loss. Any help would be most appreciated.
Gazareth
Gazareth
SSCarpal Tunnel

Hi Jack, try using Invoke-SqlCmd in place of SQLCMD - it gives the results in a data row format, whereas I think SQLCMD just gives you a string that you won't be able to loop through.
You can pipe the results straight into a foreach loop, or use the variable like so:

Invoke-SqlCmd -Serverinstance "server" -Username "User" -Password "password" -Query $sql | `
foreach {code block - use $_.DBName and $_.SFTPFolder to access the values}

or

$Database = Invoke-SqlCmd -Serverinstance "server" -Username "User" -Password "password" -Query $sql

foreach ($d in $Database)
{
code block - use $d.DBName and $d.SFTPFolder to acces the values
}

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Gaz
JackG
JackG
Valued Member
Valued Member (51 reputation)Valued Member (51 reputation)Valued Member (51 reputation)Valued Member (51 reputation)Valued Member (51 reputation)Valued Member (51 reputation)Valued Member (51 reputation)Valued Member (51 reputation)

Awesome! Thanks Gazareth!

Now that I've read your post I vaguely remember hearing that invoke-sqlcmd returns the table and sqlcmd returns a string. There's no way I would have pulled that nugget of information out of the dusty recesses of my brain though. :-P Thanks again.
Gazareth
Gazareth
SSCarpal Tunnel

No worries mate :-)

If in doubt, you can check the type & properties of something by piping it to get-member:

$Database | get-member
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.